Shared Folder...not working

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobswusa
Level 1
Level 1

Shared Folder...not working

Post by bobswusa »

I am running Win 10 inside vrtualbox 6.1 in Linux Mint 20.2. From following a post below on how to create shared folders, I did so, but Win 10 in virtualbox still not recognizing the USB drive. Then I read the post to the part on making one a user of the vboxusers group, which I assume is the issue, but I am unable to do this. There are several groups by my name, but vboxuser isn't one of them.

Any thoughts? Trying to get one file from a USB drive over to win 10 in virtualbox.

Thanks.

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jamiemint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Shared Folder...not working

Post by jamiemint »

bobswusa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:58 pm I am running Win 10 inside vrtualbox 6.1 in Linux Mint 20.2. From following a post below on how to create shared folders, I did so, but Win 10 in virtualbox still not recognizing the USB drive. Then I read the post to the part on making one a user of the vboxusers group, which I assume is the issue, but I am unable to do this. There are several groups by my name, but vboxuser isn't one of them.
To see the groups you are a member of:

Code: Select all

groups
To make yourself part of the vboxuser group,

sudo usermod -a -G vboxuser myusername
edit: forgot to mention you may have to log out and back in.

Jamie
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The Shared Folder should show up like this in Windows 10.
shared.png
A GUI way to add vboxuser to your user is..
Menu - search Groups - open Users and Groups - enter password - left mouse click your user name - left mouse click on your current list of Groups - scroll down to vboxusers & left mouse click to add to groups.. Close & restart computer..
bobswusa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobswusa »

Thanks for the help.

Able to add vboxusers to my groups, restarted computer, still don't see the shared folder in Win 10 in Virtualbox.

I'll retry making the shared folder itself, maybe I made an error there.

Bob
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You are confusing shared folders and usb drives, which is it that you want?

Have you installed the extension pack in VB and how did you install VB - from software manager or direct from oracle?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
bobswusa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobswusa »

Sorry, my first post is confusing.

I first tried getting USB ports working, got nowhere, but from looking at the previous posts, it sounded that shared folders are easier/better, so I am working on shared folders.

I downloaded virtualbox from Oracle, as advised from a link in a linux tutorial site .

I do have extension pack installed acording to preferences, with a green checkmark by it. ( Version 6.1.26r145957 )

Bob
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You set shared folders up in the settings for your VM:
Screenshot from 2021-10-21 16-36-05.png
and as RIH showed in their screenshot, in win they appear as network drives.

For usb drives, plug it it and then, with your VM running, on the VB panel at the bottom of the screen right click on the usb icon, it will give you a list of usb devices - click on the one you want. While your VM has access to the usb drive it is unavailable to mint, so a good way to make sure you can't see either is to share the mount point for a usb drive and then try to access it as a usb device in the VM. Only do one.

If you haven't done yet, install guest-additions in win (on the VB devices menu 'insert guest additions', it will then appear as a CD drive in win and may autorun, if not run setup on the CD drive).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

For the USB:

After installing the Extension Pack, and after plugging in the USB drive in the Host machine, go to the Settings of the Guest machine, and add a filter with the values set to the plugged-in USB device like this:
usb.png
bobswusa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobswusa »

Thanks for the great help with USB - now it is connected and works fine.

Never got the shared folder to work, even after doing the CD drive setup that appears in Windows, but as the USB is even better, I'm done. Now to get enlarge the little window that Win 10 appears in...

But now I think I am completely off of windows except for the virtualbox machine, for the only 2 things I need it for.

Bob
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

bobswusa wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 am Now to get enlarge the little window that Win 10 appears in...
You need guest additions for that, then win will go full screen (or seamless if you prefer that mode).

No idea why you are struggling with shared folders, most people find that one easy and have trouble with usb devices.
bobswusa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Shared Folder...not working < Solved>

Post by bobswusa »

The USB sharing is now fixed.

Thanks.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

jamiemint wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:24 pm ...

sudo usermod -a -G vboxuser myusername
edit: forgot to mention you may have to log out and back in.
small correction (on the host machine):

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers myusername
Note the plural form (not that it solved the problem).
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Thanks, I also realized it's vboxsf on the Guest, and vboxusers on the Host, for some reason :?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

You are welcome..
Congratulations on finding via a Forum search, rather than asking a new question..

Return to “Virtual Machines”