Connect to Headless Server - Closed

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
treehugger58
Level 1
Level 1

Connect to Headless Server - Closed

Post by treehugger58 »

First, I apologize if I sound grumpy. I am rather frustrated because I know this should not be difficult, but I cannot find a solution.

Simple scenario - I have an older PC with 64 bit Mint 19 (Cinnamon). I want to set it up as a media server. I have installed samba and all my PCs have the ability to access the media folder and stream the files.

Now I want to be able to remote into this server so that I can do updates & maintenance. Like I said, I want this PC to remain "headless" (no monitor, keyboard or mouse).

I read all sorts of things about how to do this, but nothing seems to really match. I have installed Remmina (not the Flathub) on the remote PC. I logged on to the server (connected monitor, mouse & keyboard) and read the instructions on setting up Remmina. When I go to SETTINGS, like it says, I don't see an option to enable desktop. I read on another site that you could enable it using dconf-editor, I navigate to /org/gnome/desktop, but don't see anything about desktops or remote sharing.

I know there should be a simple way to do this and I am just not finding the right place/instructions. Can someone please help point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DWAM
Level 1
Level 1

Re: connect to headless server

Post by DWAM »

Hi!

maybe your problem comes from a basic fact : a desktop linux is NOT designed to run headless. Real Servers are...

The idea of recycling an old computer to share services over a network is great. However I would not use LM to do it. There are better options imho.

If you still want to use LM instead of re-installing a "server" distribution I think you just need to install an OpenSSH server and maybe Webmin on your computer.
With SSH, you can access your remote computer with a terminal to run updates/upgrades and even manage your files as well as Samba conf...
OTOH Webmin will offer you a complete web interface to manage your computer and the services it provides. With Webmin you can entirely configure your computer with just a browser ! Webmin has a dedicated module for Samba
https://www.webmin.com/

Another option is to install a real server distribution. For example Ubuntu Server (you can download the ISO) . There is no GUI by default, it is designed to run headless. Then you just need an ssh server, samba and webmin and you're good to go. And you will gain in performance as well as storage space.

Alternatively, what you're trying to do is by definition what a "NAS" offers. NAS stands for Network Attached Storage.
There are popular open source NAS distributions like TrueNAS (aka FreeNAS) or XigmaNAS (aka Nas4Free). Very easy to install and absolutely perfect for what you're talking about.
https://www.truenas.com/
https://xigmanas.com/xnaswp/

Finally I will say that the idea of using Remmina or VNC or any other remote desktop control tool can work but it will require more work to get it working nicely than just using a web interface. Remmina is a Remote Desktop Protocol (windows RDP alternative)... thus it requires a... desktop with a graphical environnement to make sense...

Hope this helps a little...
Guillaume

PS : btw, I guess your post is not related to Virtual Machines (virtualization)... Maybe it should be moved to the network section?
GrahamLMC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GrahamLMC »

I would suggest NoMachine, it's not open source but it is very reliable and an easy to setup option. I originally had a HP Microserver running Windows Home Server, and when WHS went out of support I moved it to LM. At first I tried using XRDP and Remmina but it was always complicated to setup and maintain, it only supported Cinnamon in software rendering mode, and XFCE kept reverting to the default theme losing the LM customisations.

NoMachine is much simpler to setup and supports 3D acceleration with Cinnamon. The only disadvantage I found was it requires a monitor to be plugged in to initialise the graphics, so for headless you need a VGA / HDMI dongle (only a few pounds/dollars off Ebay).
treehugger58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by treehugger58 »

Thanks for the help, guys.

DWAM - after looking at what you suggested, it does sound like an NAS may be the right way to go. You also said something about this should be moved to NETWORKING instead of VIRTUAL MACHINES. I must have selected the wrong topic. How do I move it? Do I just re-post everything?

GrahamLMC - I am going to take a look at NoMachine today. Thanks for the suggestion.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

GrahamLMC wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:25 pm I would suggest NoMachine, it's not open source but it is very reliable and an easy to setup option.
I was looking into the same to get gui console access to a mint pc I've got running some server stuff ,Fiddled a bit with xrdp ++ but then tried nomahine, it did just what I wanted with no fiddling at all.

as for using ubuntu server, I'd rather stay with the same OS I've already familiar with
aybesea
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aybesea »

Pretty easy, really. Intall ssh on that machine, and just ssh in to control it from the CLI.
DWAM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DWAM »

treehugger58 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:06 pm DWAM - after looking at what you suggested, it does sound like an NAS may be the right way to go. You also said something about this should be moved to NETWORKING instead of VIRTUAL MACHINES. I must have selected the wrong topic. How do I move it? Do I just re-post everything?
XigmaNAS would be my first choice. Can be installed on a flash drive (to boot and run the OS) so that 100% of your drives are available for data storage and sharing.

About the forum section, I guess only admins can move threads with this forum, so never mind...

Have fun!

Return to “Virtual Machines”