White desktop in VM <Solved>

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MenthaSuaveolens
Level 3
Level 3

White desktop in VM <Solved>

Post by MenthaSuaveolens »

I created a new virtual machine and installed the lastest version of LM Cinnamon. The installation went well, but after applying all updates and after restarting I get a white background. If one tries to start an application, one can see the appropriate icon in the taskbar, but the desktop remains white. Strange enough, all keys on the taskbar do still work. For instance, when selecting the menu-key (on the bottom left) the menu nicely pops up. How can I get the VM to work properly? I reinstalled the software already twice and every time after updating, I get a white desktopImage
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: White desktop in VM

Post by MikeNovember »

MenthaSuaveolens wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:03 am I created a new virtual machine and installed the lastest version of LM Cinnamon. The installation went well, but after applying all updates and after restarting I get a white background. If one tries to start an application, one can see the appropriate icon in the taskbar, but the desktop remains white. Strange enough, all keys on the taskbar do still work. For instance, when selecting the menu-key (on the bottom left) the menu nicely pops up. How can I get the VM to work properly? I reinstalled the software already twice and every time after updating, I get a white desktop
Hi,

Linux Mate 20.2 images, Cinnamon / Mate / XFCE are available to download for both VMware Worsktation Player or for Virtual Box from OS Boxes: https://www.osboxes.org/linux-mint-20-2 ... nd-vmware/

Just download the one you want and try it.

Regards,

MN
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I have never had a desktop like that in any of my VB guests...congratulations!! :D

Usually problems like that are in settings in the Display settings in the guest. Mine look like below, what are your settings?
VB 1.png
The thing that I do notice on your desktop is that you have an asterisk saying that you are missing something in your Mint settings.
VB.png
VB.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
It might not be anything to do with the display, but still worth a click to sort some sort of problem out..
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

RIH wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:11 am I have never had a desktop like that in any of my VB guests...congratulations!! :D

Usually problems like that are in settings in the Display settings in the guest. Mine look like below, what are your settings?
A white screen? "If one tries to start an application, one can see the appropriate icon in the taskbar, but the desktop remains white."

Regards,

MN
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Turn off 3D acceleration in the VirtualBox graphics preferences and see if that makes a difference.

Provided that VirtualBox is mentioned at all ... The available information about the host and the virtualization system used ( VM... which one, version etc. ? ) is a bit sparse.
Last edited by absque fenestris on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 am Turn off 3D acceleration in the VirtualBox graphics preferences and see if that makes a difference.
Hi,

You assume it is in VirtualBox, but OP did not precise it.

Regards,

MN
Level 12
Level 12

That was correction in real time... :mrgreen:
MenthaSuaveolens
Level 3
Level 3

Re: White desktop in VM <Solved>

Post by MenthaSuaveolens »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 am Turn off 3D acceleration in the VirtualBox graphics preferences and see if that makes a difference.

Provided that VirtualBox is mentioned at all ... The available information about the host and the virtualization system used ( VM... which one, version etc. ? ) is a bit sparse.
Indeed, 3D acceleration was on! Switching it off, solved the problem. Sorry for my sparse information. The host was LM 20.2 Cinnamon, VirtualBox 6.1
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: White desktop in VM <Solved>

When using VirtualBox on a Windows host, an update of VirtualBox for Windows seems to fix the problem with Mesa and 3D graphics acceleration.
Does not appear to be fixed yet in the Linux version of VirtualBox.

see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=361738

Return to “Virtual Machines”