VirtuelBox & VMware no USB in guest Win XP

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steeneh
Level 1
Level 1

VirtuelBox & VMware no USB in guest Win XP

Post by Steeneh »

For the last 4 years I have been running Linux Mint with virtual box and as a guest Win Xp pro. It has run smoothly and with no problems.
I have now installed virtual box on my new Mint 20.03 Uma and can not get USB to work in Win XP. I then Installed VMware 16 player with the same result, no USB. I have of course installed all add-ons in both boxes etc.
Is this a Linux Mint problem? And are there a fix?
Thanks in advance
Steeneh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: VirtuelBox & VMware no USB in guest Win XP

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

- There are two conditions in order to see an USB in your XP guest:

* if you use Virtual Box, guest additions should be installed in XP; or if you use VMware, VMware tools should be installed in XP.

* your USB peripheral should be visible in your Linux Mint host.

- If the two conditions are filled, then you can toggle an attached USB peripheral from your Mint host to your XP guest. In VMware you have a list of small icons peripherals on the bottom right of your guest windows, and selecting one you can toggle its connection.

Regards,

MN
Level 3

Post by regmar »

Perhaps you need to add your username to the group vboxusers

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers <username>
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon - Intel NUC11
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:48 am * if you use Virtual Box, guest additions should be installed in XP; or if you use VMware, VMware tools should be installed in XP.
No, it is the VB extension pack you need installed in virtualbox for USB, for full functionality install guest-additions as well. Don't forget - no USB3 in XP.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:13 pm
MikeNovember wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:48 am * if you use Virtual Box, guest additions should be installed in XP; or if you use VMware, VMware tools should be installed in XP.
No, it is the VB extension pack you need installed in virtualbox for USB, for full functionality install guest-additions as well. Don't forget - no USB3 in XP.
OK, VB extension pack installed needs to be installed on the host AND guest additions need to be installed on the guest.

--> 3 installation steps for VB (VB on host, extension pack on host, guest additions on guest).
--> 2 installation steps for VMware (VMware player on host, VMware tools on guest).

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Post by Steeneh »

Thanks for the answer, I have made all the suggestions. It has not helped.
New strategy: I have installed Gnome Boxes and want to test different distroes, and no, Gnome Boxes can not run Win XP (not an ISO file!)
But thank you again, and I will reserve the right to return
Steen
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

With your VM running you need to select your usb device off the VB devices menu:
Workspace 1_018.png
This is foxclone running in a VM, but equally applicable to win.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Virtual Machines”