<SOLVED> FYI - LMDE 5 using Boxes – WOW!

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

<SOLVED> FYI - LMDE 5 using Boxes – WOW!

Post by wallyUSA »

I have installed Gnome-boxes (from Software Manager) in my LM 20.3. This is amazingly simple to install and use.

I have used this to download and run other distros (like LMDE 5, EDGE or Ubuntu) without having to install or create a ‘live usb’. Kind of like a taking a ‘test run’.

Much quicker and simpler than using a VM and seems to be very efficient. So far, I like it! :!:

Anyone think of a reason not to use this? :?: Do not want to mess up my stable LM 20.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE 5 using Boxes – WOW!

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Gnome Boxes uses qemu-kvm, libvirt-glib and spice-gtk, and allow to download pre-configured virtual machines running on it.

You can also download prebuilt virtual machines images, for VMware Workstation Player or for Virtual Box, from https://www.osboxes.org/. The principle is the same: install the virtual machine program, create a new guest with downloaded image, allow it resources (ram, disk, processor...) and run it.

Regards,

MN
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Hello MN,

Not sure what all this means. All I do is create a quick VM by copying the iso files to Boxes and run it. Quick & easy!
MikeNovember wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:18 pm You can also download prebuilt virtual machines images, for VMware Workstation Player or for Virtual Box, from https://www.osboxes.org/. The principle is the same: install the virtual machine program, create a new guest with downloaded image, allow it resources (ram, disk, processor...) and run it.
I already have VM Player and VBox installed. I used them in the past but creating a quest OS but it takes awhile and some configuring to do that. How does this compare to using osboxes?

Thanks for your interest and reply :!:

Wally
Last edited by karlchen on Wed May 25, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: marked quoted text from the post above by enclosing it in [quote] tags, surprise, surprise
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

wallyUSA wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:51 pm I have installed Gnome-boxes (from Software Manager) in my LM 20.3. This is amazingly simple to install and use.

I have used this to download and run other distros (like LMDE 5, EDGE or Ubuntu) without having to install or create a ‘live usb’. Kind of like a taking a ‘test run’.

Much quicker and simpler than using a VM and seems to be very efficient. So far, I like it! :!:

Anyone think of a reason not to use this? :?: Do not want to mess up my stable LM 20.3.
Trying to understand where this has greater value than a Ventoy flash drive with your chosen iso? Unlike above where you state " without having to install or create a ‘live usb’. " Adding an iso to the Ventoy drive takes mere seconds. As in copy and paste.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

chiefjim wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:26 am
Trying to understand where this has greater value than a Ventoy flash drive with your chosen iso? Unlike above where you state " without having to install or create a ‘live usb’. " Adding an iso to the Ventoy drive takes mere seconds. As in copy and paste.
Adding an iso to Ventoy may be a little quicker but I think that requires a re-boot? Seems like that is more like a dual-boot which I do not like.

MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

wallyUSA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:22 pm Hello MN,

Not sure what all this means. All I do is create a quick VM by copying the iso files to Boxes and run it. Quick & easy!
MikeNovember wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:18 pm You can also download prebuilt virtual machines images, for VMware Workstation Player or for Virtual Box, from https://www.osboxes.org/. The principle is the same: install the virtual machine program, create a new guest with downloaded image, allow it resources (ram, disk, processor...) and run it.
I already have VM Player and VBox installed. I used them in the past but creating a quest OS but it takes awhile and some configuring to do that. How does this compare to using osboxes?

Thanks for your interest and reply :!:

Wally
Hi,

From osboxes you don't download iso files but preconfigured images, ".vmdk" for VMware or ".vdi" for Virtual Box.

No install! Just create a new machine, allow it ram, processor, disk, video ram and use the downloaded image.

Regards,

MN
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

MikeNovember wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm Hi,

From osboxes you don't download iso files but preconfigured images, ".vmdk" for VMware or ".vdi" for Virtual Box.

No install! Just create a new machine, allow it ram, processor, disk, video ram and use the downloaded image.

Regards,

MN
MN, sounds great to me. I tried a couple d/l from osboxes.org but they failed. I have re-powered my router and will try again.

wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: <SOLVED> FYI - LMDE 5 using Boxes – WOW!

Post by wallyUSA »

Well the OSboxes worked for me. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing :!:

Return to “Virtual Machines”