Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lazarus_long
Level 2
Level 2

vmware player

Post by lazarus_long »

It looks like VirtualBox gets most of the attention. I've used VMWare Fusion on my Mac with great success, so tried VMWare player on my Mint 20.3 machine. (2012 Mac Pro with 2x Xeon x5690 @ 3.46 GHz (total of 12 cores), 32 MB RAM.

The problem is it barely runs - the kernel seems to seize up. The mouse pointer doesn't even move. I have to hard-reset the machine. Hyperthreading is enabled, not sure if it is possible to disable it on Mac hardware if that matters.

I briefly tried virtualbox in the past, it didn't work any better.

Ideas?
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Re: vmware player

Post by The Muffin Man »

It has been a long time since I ran VMWare player. I began running it about 2008, for about 5 years then switched to VirtualBox That being said, I assume you mean the host kernel is freezing up? Have you installed the extensions that VMWare player comes with?
I *think* VMWare is now concentrating on their server offerings (aside from VMWare fusion)

If you want, you can try out VirtualBox (download it from https://www.virtualbox.org/) and it will run your vmdk that you created with VMWare. Just remember to install the extensions for it if you go with it. (as you would with VMWare)
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
MikeNovember
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

I use VMware Workstation Player for Linux, 16.2.4 revision, and it works very well with a Windows 10 Pro guest.

The way a host can work depends on the resources that you allow to it through the virtual machine software: I allow to my guest 8GB or RAM (taken from the 16 GB available on my system) and 4 processors (among the 8, 4 physic ones and 4 virtual ones) taken from my CPU. I have also selected the three virtualization available options.

And, since I have an Nvidia graphics card, WMware can use hardware accelerated graphics for my guest, where OpenGL 4.5, Direct-X 12 and Direct 3D are available (it is possible only when an Nvidia card is used). And I allow 1 GB of graphics display RAM, taken from the 3 GB available on my Nvidia card.

I have an SSD on my system, it fastens disk accesses from the host and the guest.

Finally, you need to install VMware tools in your guest (whatever its OS, Windows or Linux) to have the maximum profit of VMware player.

So, the results you get depends on the hardware resources available, and the way they are shared between host and guest. In order to have Windows 10 work correctly, the host should have at least 4 GB RAM, 2 processors, 512 MB of graphics memory and accelerated graphics. In that case, your system should have at least 8 GB RAM, 4 processors in your CPU, an Nvidia graphics card with 1 GB RAM, in order to keep resources for your system and for VMware Player.

Below these "minimum requirements", you will not get a satisfying functioning of a virtual machine.

Basically speaking, if you want to use host and guest, you need twice the hardware needed for one OS. This is because VMware Player uses the allocated hardware exclusively; there are other versions of VMware (pay ones) that can dynamically share the resources with the host.

It seems that your hardware, speaking of CPU and RAM, is compatible with a virtual machine.
Here are CPU requirements:
VMware Workstation Player 16 System Requirements:

Systems using Processors (CPUs) launched in 2011 or later are supported, except for the following:
Intel Atom processors based on the 2011 Bonnell micro-architecture. For example, Atom Z670/Z650 and Atom N570.
Systems using Intel Atom processors based on the 2012 Saltwell micro-architecture. For example, Atom S1200, Atom D2700/D2500, and Atom N2800/N2600.
Systems using AMD processors based on the Llano and Bobcat micro-architectures. For example, code-named Hondo, Ontario, Zacate, and Llano.

The following systems are also supported: Systems using Intel processors based on the 2010 Westmere micro-architecture. For example, Xeon 5600, Xeon 3600, Core i7-970, Core i7-980, and Core i7-990.
What about your graphics card? Nvidia one?

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by lazarus_long »

MikeNovember wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:29 am
Hi,

I use VMware Workstation Player for Linux, 16.2.4 revision, and it works very well with a Windows 10 Pro guest.

The way a host can work depends on the resources that you allow to it through the virtual machine software: I allow to my guest 8GB or RAM (taken from the 16 GB available on my system) and 4 processors (among the 8, 4 physic ones and 4 virtual ones) taken from my CPU. I have also selected the three virtualization available options.

And, since I have an Nvidia graphics card, WMware can use hardware accelerated graphics for my guest, where OpenGL 4.5, Direct-X 12 and Direct 3D are available (it is possible only when an Nvidia card is used). And I allow 1 GB of graphics display RAM, taken from the 3 GB available on my Nvidia card.

I have an SSD on my system, it fastens disk accesses from the host and the guest.

Finally, you need to install VMware tools in your guest (whatever its OS, Windows or Linux) to have the maximum profit of VMware player.

So, the results you get depends on the hardware resources available, and the way they are shared between host and guest. In order to have Windows 10 work correctly, the host should have at least 4 GB RAM, 2 processors, 512 MB of graphics memory and accelerated graphics. In that case, your system should have at least 8 GB RAM, 4 processors in your CPU, an Nvidia graphics card with 1 GB RAM, in order to keep resources for your system and for VMware Player.

Below these "minimum requirements", you will not get a satisfying functioning of a virtual machine.

Basically speaking, if you want to use host and guest, you need twice the hardware needed for one OS. This is because VMware Player uses the allocated hardware exclusively; there are other versions of VMware (pay ones) that can dynamically share the resources with the host.

It seems that your hardware, speaking of CPU and RAM, is compatible with a virtual machine.
Here are CPU requirements:
VMware Workstation Player 16 System Requirements:

Systems using Processors (CPUs) launched in 2011 or later are supported, except for the following:
Intel Atom processors based on the 2011 Bonnell micro-architecture. For example, Atom Z670/Z650 and Atom N570.
Systems using Intel Atom processors based on the 2012 Saltwell micro-architecture. For example, Atom S1200, Atom D2700/D2500, and Atom N2800/N2600.
Systems using AMD processors based on the Llano and Bobcat micro-architectures. For example, code-named Hondo, Ontario, Zacate, and Llano.

The following systems are also supported: Systems using Intel processors based on the 2010 Westmere micro-architecture. For example, Xeon 5600, Xeon 3600, Core i7-970, Core i7-980, and Core i7-990.
What about your graphics card? Nvidia one?

Regards,

MN
Typo in my machine description - I have 32 GB RAM, not MB. I tried giving it 8GB and 4 cores.

Maybe part of the problem was I tried copying over my Windows 10 VM from my Mac running Vmware Fusion. I was hoping it would just work. I don't have a windows 10 installer, but do have a windows 7 installer. But activation server has been shut down, so that's a dead end.

I found a tool that supposedly 'unlocks' player to allow it to create a macOS VM. It does seem to work, in that it allows me to select macOS as a guest OS. But it does not recognize my macOS installer as valid. I've done the createmediainstaller thing to make a bootable installer, but player won't use it.

I have several drives in my system, but my boot drive is an SSD:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 16G 0 16G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.2G 63M 3.1G 2% /run
/dev/sda6 405G 41G 344G 11% /
tmpfs 16G 75M 16G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdc1 197M 2.8M 195M 2% /boot/efi
/dev/sdc2 938G 198G 694G 23% /home
/dev/sdb2 7.3T 3.1T 3.9T 45% /Volumes/linux-data
tmpfs 3.2G 1.9M 3.2G 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sda4 336G 61M 335G 1% /Volumes/shared

sda is a 1 TB SSD partitioned and set up to dual boot between macOS and Mint, plus an exfat partition for copying files between macOS and Mint
sdb is a 8 TB hard drive that I use for backups and archiving stuff.
sdc is a 2 TB SSD that is split into 2 partitions, one is mounted as /home in linux the other as /Users for macOS.

The VM I'm trying to run is on /dev/sdc

The video card is AMD HD5770 (original Mac card). I also have a AMD RX580, but I can't get it to work in Mint, it only works in macOS, and only after it boots. It is not flashed for Mac. I've been trying to find someplace that can flash it, but I've read that it can't.

I've also installed refind+ as my boot manager, which supposedly works on a Mac even with a non-flashed video card, but there is something weird about mine and it doesn't. I've been back and forth with the refind+ developer, turns out it depends on some sort of capability that isn't present on my card.
MikeNovember
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You can transfer a virtual machine from Fusion to VMware Workstation Player: the vmdk is the same, you might have to redefine the hardware allocated to the machine (in "edit virtual machine settings"), I don't know if the vmx is the same for Fusion and VMware workstation player.

The only complaint you could have is from Windows, if the computer is not the same (detected through the CPU type).

Since you have AMD graphics cards, hardware accelerated graphics is not possible with VMware Player; this could be available with Virtual Box.

The use of MacOS as guest is difficult with VMware:
- you need a patched MacOS,
- and you need to patch VMware; this kind of tool is generally available for VMware running in Windows host, and for full VMware Workstation, not with VMware Workstation Player.
It will be easier to install on VirtualBox.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Virtual Machines”