Can't get Linux Mint to work on Hyper-V

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BigLeo
Level 1
Level 1

Can't get Linux Mint to work on Hyper-V

Post by BigLeo »

Hi,

I have previously used Linux Mint on Hyper-V without any problems. I stupidly decided to delete the VM and start again. Now I can't get it to work.

I downloaded the 64 bit ISO but I immediately hit problems. First Hyper-V said it couldn't read the ISO files on my TrueNAS server. It did previously but now it says it doesn't have access. I have no idea why?

So I copied the ISO to my local disk and now it can read it. But the only options I get is to run the live version, install an OEM version or test memory. If I try to run the live version is goes away to do something and never comes back.

If I install the OEM version it appears to install i.e. it asks me for all the settings etc. and copies files. But when I reboot it appears to start but all I get is a blank screen.

Why do I never see an option to install Mint proper instead of the OEM version?

To test if there was something wrong with my Hyper-V installation I tried Ubuntu. That gave me an option to install and everything worked. I got a screen and could login. The trouble is I hate the Ubuntu desktop.

I then tried Linux Lite. Same thing as Mint. It appeared to install and boot but I never got a login screen.

Could someone please tell me what is going on? Why do I only get the option to do an OEM install and why do I never get a login screen?

What am I doing wrong?

If I ever get this to work can someone also tell me how to resize the screen to something usable?

I'm running Hyper-V on Win 8.1 Pro.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't get Linux Mint to work on Hyper-V

Post by Pierre »

Hi BigLeo ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

as most folks on this Forum, do seem to use VirtualBox as their VM solution,
and do seem to get some good results,
can you therefore try again, with VirtualBox .. rather than with the existing Hyper-V method
- to see if that will work, on your Host Machine ? with the LinuxMint as the Guest System ?.

NB: you will have to Boot into that Live Media Desktop .. to get an Install option to be available.
as only the OEM Installation is available from the Boot Menu itself.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BigLeo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BigLeo »

Hi,

Sorry but I don't like VirtualBox. I found it amazingly slow and I have a lot of virtual machines on Hyper-V.

Surely someone tests on Hyper-V?

Why do I need to boot the live version to be able to install. That is just plain weird. What is the logic behind that? Ubuntu gives me an option to install from the boot menu. Why does Mint not do this?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Sure - with Hyper-V being baked into the Windows System
- it will obviously work that much better.
:)

but .. it's not so popular, on this forum .. for some reason.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rayd123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayd123 »

Linux Mint 20 works just fine. Mint 21 and 21.1 hangs at install even in compatibility mode. Surely that is a big issue. The fact that the forum does not like Hyper-V is quite irrelevant, right?
rayd123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayd123 »

Wow, this really does not work. Installed 20.3 and did a mint upgrade and it fails at boot up in the same way as the live install fails. Ok, Virtual box it is then.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

rayd123 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:32 am The fact that the forum does not like Hyper-V is quite irrelevant, right?
It's a user forum, peer-to-peer support. How am I supposed to help you with Hyper-V if I don't use it?
AndrewHB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't get Linux Mint to work on Hyper-V-[Solved]

Post by AndrewHB »

When setting up a VM on Hyper-V choose a generation 2 machine.
In machine settings turn off secure boot.
VM will now boot normaly.
confirmationbias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by confirmationbias »

Just registered to confirm what AndrewHB wrote since this is a post that comes up as a result on google.

Generation 2 machine in Hyper-V works. Thanks AndrewHB!
velvetbar7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by velvetbar7 »

Had a similar problem (emphasis and "similar"), downloaded an older version of Mint and all worked by itself.
konradomoreno
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't get Linux Mint to work on Hyper-V-[Solved]

Post by konradomoreno »

AndrewHB wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:16 am When setting up a VM on Hyper-V choose a generation 2 machine.
In machine settings turn off secure boot.
VM will now boot normaly.
I just wanted to say that this solved my problem as well.
I have registered just to say that this is the solution.
Thank you @AndrewHB

Return to “Virtual Machines”