Convert X to dvd in Bottles

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Convert X to dvd in Bottles

Post by jayr69 »

Hello everyone.
I am not sure if this is the exact right place in the forum to ask this question.
In Linux Mint 21 i installed convert x to dvd using bottles.
Is there a way to make my program access my Linux Mint files and also to give it access to the dvd burner?
Thanks for the answers and for letting me know if i am in the right part of the forum for this question.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Convert X to dvd in Bottles

Post by MiZoG »

Wine (what Bottles "manages") is for running Windows programs on Linux.
Virtual machines is for running different Operating Systems on a host system, let's say Windows 11 on Linux.
So, yes this is not the right sub-forum for this thread. It should go to "Software" I believe.
Still, if you rely on a Windows program that cannot be fully functional on Wine, then running Windows in a VM might be a great idea.
Depending on your expertise it might be less or more complicated than dual-booting with Windows and anyway handier when you exclusively use Linux on a machine.
Wine generally makes Linux hardware (and optical drives) available to Windows applications but that's far from enough for disk-burning software.
There is a single report on ConvertXtoDVD on winehq database for a much older version of this program. A user had success with media conversion but failed with burning. They used a native app to burn the DVD files created with ConvertXtoDVD. So if this is the only problem - burning to DVD, use k3b, Brasero or Xfburn.
On the other hand, Bottles uses flatpak packaging. There is a possibility it needs extra permissions to use certain system capabilities.
Permissions granting I think is handled by Bottles settings. Otherwise, install Flatseal, a tool to manage and expand permissions for flatpaks.
Bottles has its own forum and developers seem keen to provide help. You may get more useful leads over there.
Lastly, consider a native alternative. For instance, DeVedeNG has similar features.
Last edited by MiZoG on Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jayr69 »

Hello and thanks for the reply, that is great.
I do use devede but the only problem is that when i want it to fit the data with the dvd's capacity, it dodesn't always work and my result converted file ends up being too big for the dvd's capacity.
When i use convert x to dvd to do the exact same thing the ending result is perfect and i get a great image quality also.
Still i can manage creating my converted video with my program and then burn it with brasero.
Is it possible for me to transfer this entire post into the software section of the forum?
Thanks for the input.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Click on the exclamation mark on the top right of your post to "report" your thread
From the drop-down menu ("Reason"), pick "This topic should be moved to another forum..."

Return to “Software & Applications”