SOLVED can I simply copy/paste a virtual machine image file from one computer to another?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
green-mtn
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED can I simply copy/paste a virtual machine image file from one computer to another?

Post by green-mtn »

I am moving from Debian to LM. On Debian I have a Windows virtual machine in GNOME-Boxes with a whole lot of software in Windows that I do not want to have to reinstall (it is a pain in the neck to look for license keys etc.). I installed GNOME-Boxes in LM, so can I now simply copy/paste the virtual machine image file that's on the Debian machine (it's in /home/user/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images) and paste it in the same place on the LM machine? Would it work, or would I have to do anything first to help make it work this easily?
Thanks!
[SOLVED: following the instructions here: https://www.debugpoint.com/move-virtual ... ther-host/]
Last edited by green-mtn on Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bleys
Level 3
Level 3

Re: can I simply copy/paste a virtual machine image file from one computer to another?

Post by Bleys »

green-mtn wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:53 am
so can I now simply copy/paste the virtual machine image file that's on the Debian machine (it's in /home/user/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images) and paste it in the same place on the LM machine?
No!

In the File menu, select "Import Appliance" and follow Instructions.
Ryzen 5 3400G, 16GB RAM, SanDisk Extrem Pro 1TB nvme, ASUS Prime B450M-A, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
green-mtn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: can I simply copy/paste a virtual machine image file from one computer to another?

Post by green-mtn »

Bleys wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:12 am
In the File menu, select "Import Appliance"
I'm not seeing such an option anywhere in GNOME-Boxes. I looked for it in the File Browser as well as in the system and can't find this.
Thanks
Bleys
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bleys »

green-mtn wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 am
I'm not seeing such an option anywhere in GNOME-Boxes. I looked for it in the File Browser as well as in the system and can't find this.
Thanks
ups.. Sorry! I should first read properly and then answer :/
my answer was for VirtualBox...
Ryzen 5 3400G, 16GB RAM, SanDisk Extrem Pro 1TB nvme, ASUS Prime B450M-A, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

Perhaps this will help:

https://www.debugpoint.com/move-virtual ... ther-host/

Disclaimer: I do not use gnome boxes, I use Virtualbox for virtualization.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics * My trusty Dell PE T610
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
green-mtn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by green-mtn »

Yep, that worked like a charm, thanks!

Return to “Virtual Machines”