[SOLVED] Virtualbox VMs don't start after MInt 21 update

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Virtualbox VMs don't start after MInt 21 update

Post by xGuy »

I've hit the same issue as mintcrs reported on September 16 2022 except that I am running Mint 21 and the problem does not go away after reboots.

Attached is file Update Manager_001A.jpg which innocuously describes an update to virtualbox-guest-additions-iso. However when you install this it prompts with file Untitled window_001.jpg which installs the entire virtualbox package.

After this no VMs can start. I've attached a third file VBoxLog.txt which shows the problem.

I've temporarily worked around this by restoring my Mint 21 system (and the VM) to a state just before the upgrade and have blacklisted "virtualbox*" in the Update Manager.

But obviously I would like to find a permanent solution if anyone can help!
Attachments
VBoxLog.txt
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Untitled window_001.jpg
Untitled window_001.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Update Manager_001A.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ianblakeley
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Virtualbox VMs don't start after MInt 21 update

Post by ianblakeley »

After the update to Mint22 and kernel 5.15 my solitary Windows VM was unstable I'd been having problems but not so serious before so assumed Windows was broken. I installed a new Windows VM and it was equally as bad. I just found there's a update to VirtualBox but it was marked as held back and would not update. I got that installed by specifically requesting

Code: Select all

apt install virtualbox virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-ext-pack virtualbox-qt 
and it looks like ti has solved my problems.
--
Ian
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Sorry xGuy, what Operating System are you using & what VirtualBox guest are you trying to run??

If you are using Mint as the host then, personally, I would recommend installing VirtualBox directly from Oracle rather than from the Software Manager.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
You will need to download the VirtualBox 6.1.38 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack as well..
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

Many thanks for the quick replies!

The host OS is Mint 21 and the guest OS is Mint 19. Here's the background.

I had installed MInt 21 from the Live DVD into a fresh 200 GB partition whilst retaining my existing Mint 19 system in its original 200 GB partition. I needed to install all my programs and settings into the Mint 21 environment and to assist with this I took a copy of the Mint 19 system (using my proven backup/recovery system which produces a tar archive) and recovered (as if it were a bare metal recovery) into a Virtual Box VM. This allows me to look at all the settings of my Mint 19 system while I'm running Mint 21 which makes the task of setting everything up much easier.

At some point I will be able to discard this Mint 19 VM.

I hadn't really used Virtual Box in earnest before. I have a number of other VMs (mostly Windows) which were set up using VMWare Player. I haven't got to the stage of trying to run these under Mint 21 but at the back of my mind is the thought that I may well be best to stick with VMWare lest I get Activation Issues from changing the environment.

I try to avoid installing anything other than through the Mint 21 Software Manager. So I'm inclined to leave my Virtual Box frozen as it is. It's working at the moment and as I've blacklisted updates it hopefully will continue to do so.

If I do decide to switch to using Virtual Box directly from Oracle I'll need to uninstall the current version. Is it sufficient to use the Software Manager to Uninstall all installed items whose name is of the form "VirtualBox*" and then reboot before installing the Oracle version?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There are some things, which do not match or are unclear.

At first: Mint 22. This will not exist in the next 2 years. I assume you mean Mint 21, but it shows, that little typos can have a great effect.

Second: You say now, that your guest is Mint 19, but in your second post you wrote about a Windows VM.

Third: It should not happen, that you only get the guest additions offered as update and not the complete program. Except you would have it already. So my question is, what is your current version of VBox (Help -> about)?

If you want to switch to the Oracle source you need to completely uninstall all components of VB. But do this only after doing a complete backup of the virtual machines and the folder ~/.config/VirtualBox (~ points to your home). But it is useless, because the current version in the Ubuntu repositories and on Oracle's site are identical.
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

Thanks for your reply

I did not mention "Mint 22" in any of my posts on this thread

Sorry if mentioning a Windows client VM has caused confusion. All my Windows VMs run under VMWare and will likely have to continue to do so under Mint 21 to avoid needing re-activation. However, as this Mint 19 VM was a new item, and a temporary one at that, I thought I would give Virtualbox a try.

I installed VirtualBox from the Mint Software Manager and it is at Version 6.1.34. The products installed are all v6.1.34 and comprise :-

Virtualbox, Virtualbox (base), Virtualbox-dkms, Virtualbox-ext-pack, Virtualbox-guest-additions-iso, Virtualbox-guest-utils

I did a routine run of the Mint Update Manager and noticed that there was a single Virtualbox entry in the list :- virtualbox-guest_additions_iso 6.1.38.1

Thinking that this was just a new guest additions iso image, I included it in the updates. However, the update prompted with "This upgrade will trigger additional changes - The following packages will be installed: virtualbox virtualbox-ext-pack virtualbox-qt". I accepted this and immediately after that was when I hit the problem. The new version of virtualbox was 6.1.38. I included the full log as an attached file but here is the most relevant bit.

00:00:00.774767 VMMR0.r0 is importing SUPR0FpuBegin which we couldn't find
00:00:00.774772 AssertLogRel /build/virtualbox-dq2OzO/virtualbox-6.1.38-dfsg/src/VBox/HostDrivers/Support/SUPLibLdr.cpp(263) int supLoadModuleResolveImport(RTLDRMOD, const char*, const char*, unsigned int, RTUINTPTR*, void*): <NULL>
00:00:00.774774 VMMR0.r0 is importing SUPR0FpuBegin which we couldn't find
00:00:00.774777 SUP: RTLdrGetBits failed for VMMR0.r0 (/usr/lib/virtualbox/VMMR0.r0). rc=VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND
00:00:00.774791 PDMLdr: pdmR3LoadR0U: pszName="VMMR0.r0" rc=VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND szErr="Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' for module 'VMMR0.r0'"
00:00:00.774808 VMSetError: /build/virtualbox-dq2OzO/virtualbox-6.1.38-dfsg/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/PDMLdr.cpp(733) int pdmR3LoadR0U(PUVM, const char*, const char*, const char*); rc=VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND
00:00:00.774809 VMSetError: Failed to load R0 module /usr/lib/virtualbox/VMMR0.r0: Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' for module 'VMMR0.r0'
00:00:00.774816 VMSetError: /build/virtualbox-dq2OzO/virtualbox-6.1.38-dfsg/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VM.cpp(557) int vmR3CreateU(PUVM, uint32_t, PFNCFGMCONSTRUCTOR, void*); rc=VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND
00:00:00.774817 VMSetError: Failed to load VMMR0.r0
00:00:00.774896 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={Failed to load R0 module /usr/lib/virtualbox/VMMR0.r0: Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' for module 'VMMR0.r0' (VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND).
00:00:00.774903 Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-609
00:00:00.775001 Console: Machine state changed to 'PoweredOff'
00:00:00.777074 GUI: UIDesktopWidgetWatchdog::sltHandleHostScreenAvailableGeometryCalculated: Screen 0 work area is actually resized to: 0x0 x 1920x1173
00:00:00.781030 GUI: UIDesktopWidgetWatchdog::sltHandleHostScreenAvailableGeometryCalculated: Screen 1 work area is actually resized to: 1920x150 x 1623x1023
00:00:00.861035 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND, rc=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005))
00:00:00.889622 GUI: Machine-window #0 activated
00:00:00.889682 GUI: Machine-view #0 focused, reason=3
00:00:01.361344 GUI: UIMachineViewNormal::resendSizeHint: Restoring guest size-hint for screen 0 to 800x600
00:00:01.361376 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005) aIID={4680b2de-8690-11e9-b83d-5719e53cf1de} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={The console is not powered up (setVideoModeHint)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:01.361405 GUI: Aborting startup due to power up progress issue detected...
As repeated reboots did not clear the issue, I reverted both my System (including /home) and the VM to a previous state and all is now well again.

Thanks for the warning about needing to back up not just all the vbox vms but also the configuration folder in home. I wouldn't have realised that that was necessary.

Perhaps Ubuntu or Mint will pull this update on the grounds that it is offered by the Update Manager but completely breaks the vbox installed from Software Manager. In the meantime I am going to leave virtualbox* on my Update Manager Blacklist.
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

Someone just posted here a few minutes ago :-
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... c&start=15
Re: Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND

Postby hilde » 18. Sep 2022, 22:58
I had the same problem in Ubuntu. After reading this topic I just tried

sudo apt remove virtualbox-dkms
    sudo apt install virtualbox-dkms
and Virtualbox was functioning again.
I haven't got the time right now to do a total system backup, test this fix, and possibly restore my system and VM if it doesn't work so won't be trying this but maybe it might help someone else.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding Mint22: Actually this was not you, but a misleading remark of another user.

As you I have VB installed from the official repositories. But unlike your case I got at 16th September (1 day before your starting post) the new version 6.1.38 offered in the way as it should and the upgrade went perfectly and all my VMs run perfectly. I still wonder, why you got at first only the upgrade for the guest additions offered. I am on Mint 20.3, but that should not make a difference.

But perhaps more helpful might be this: If one installs VB from the official repositories, there must get 5 packages installed. In your case I see only 4 of them mentioned, the missing one is virtualbox-dkms. Open Synaptic and check, if it is installed, which version and which state (updateable or not) gets reported.
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

Software Manager_001.jpg
Software Manager_002.jpg
Thanks again for your help on this!

I've been back over my notes (yes I keep written notes as I go along!) I installed the VirtualBox products a day or two prior to August 15 from the Mint Software Manager as follows :-

Virtualbox (Qt based user interface), Virtualbox (base), Virtualbox-dkms, Virtualbox-ext-pack, Virtualbox-guest-additions-iso, Virtualbox-guest-utils.

As I have now completely reverted my system to its state immediately prior to the Vbox update, the current situation wrt Vbox should be exactly as it was originally. I've attached a screenshot "Software Manager_001.jpg" showing this. I've also attached a screenshot "Software Manager_002.jpg showing the detailed info on the virtualbox-dkms package - version 6.1.34.

When I accepted the update for virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (it was the only vbox product in the Update Manager list), I got the message that additional packages would be installed :- virtualbox, virtualbox-ext-pack, virtualbox-qt. But there was no mention of virtualbox-dkms.

This does suggest to me that if I were to un-blacklist Virtualbox and repeat the update and then immediately delete virtualbox-dkms and reinstall it, all might be well if the reinstall picked up the correct version for 6.1.38. I'd welcome your feedback on that particularly if you can tell me what version of virtualbox-dkms you have installed. It could be that I have suffered the fate of an early adopter here!

However, it's Monday, I'm back on my live Mint 19 system and I just can't find the time at the present to carry out an exercise on the Mint 21 system!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is clear, that virtualbox-dkms is on version 6.1.34. But which version was it before you restored the system? It should have been 6.1.38, all VB packages must always match. As virtualbox-dkms had not been mentioned for you as also to get updated, I fear, that it stayed at 6.1.34 and this was most likely the reason for your trouble.

What do you mean with "unblacklist Virtualbox"? And why has there something been blacklisted (I assume in the update manager)?
raspu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by raspu »

xGuy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:39 pm Someone just posted here a few minutes ago :-
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... c&start=15

Re: Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND

Postby hilde » 18. Sep 2022, 22:58
I had the same problem in Ubuntu. After reading this topic I just tried

and Virtualbox was functioning again.

I haven't got the time right now to do a total system backup, test this fix, and possibly restore my system and VM if it doesn't work so won't be trying this but maybe it might help someone else.
Thank you, I was having the same problem after a Virtual Box update, and this has solved it for me (after reboot).
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

Hello Cosmo and thanks again. I don't know what version virtualbox-dkms was on after the Update and before I restored back. But, like you, I am beginning to strongly suspect that it was still 6.1.34.

Having recovered from the borked state of VirtualBox, I wanted to be sure I never accidentally re-applied the same update at some future time. I always check the list of updates before applying but one is only human and could miss it. So I added virtualbox* to the Update Manager blacklist.

I see there is a new post from raspu who has tried the suggested solution with success :-

As soon as I can get some time I am going to repeat the update, see if I get the same issue, and then see if the above "fix" clears it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

It was easier than I had anticipated. I first took a safety copy of the ~/.config/VirtualBox directory. I realised I already had a good backup of the VM.

I unblacklisted virtualbox* in Update Manager. Then ran the Update - the screen shown was different from originally - rather than just showing virtualbox-guest-additions-iso and then saying that additional installs would be triggered for virtualbox, virtualbox-ext-pack, virtualbox-qt, this time it showed virtualbox, virtualbox-ext-pack, virtualbox-guest-additions-iso, and no additional installs were triggered - see attached Screenshot Update Manager_001.jog
Update Manager_001.jpg
Following the successful update I ran apt list virtualbox* in a terminal which produced the following output showing that all virtualbox products were now at v6.1.38 including virtualbox_dkms :-

Listing...
virtualbox-dkms/jammy-updates,now 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64 [installed]
virtualbox-ext-pack/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 6.1.38-1~ubuntu1.22.04.1 all [installed]
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 6.1.38-1~ubuntu1.22.04.1 all [installed]
virtualbox-guest-utils-hwe/jammy-updates 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64
virtualbox-guest-utils/jammy-updates,now 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64 [installed]
virtualbox-guest-x11-hwe/jammy-updates 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64
virtualbox-guest-x11/jammy-updates 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64
virtualbox-qt/jammy-updates,now 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64 [installed]
virtualbox-source/jammy-updates 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64
virtualbox/jammy-updates,now 6.1.38-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64 [installed]

I then rebooted the system just to be on the safe side and tested VirtualBox which was working fine again. It's clear that the Update was different from the first time I ran it - the penalty of early adoption.

Thanks to all who contributed and I will mark the thread as solved
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox VMs don't start after MInt 21 update

Post by Cosmo. »

Congrats.

So the problem was in the state of the repositories in your system, not the source (ubuntu-repository vs. Oracle) or anything else.

Even after this story had a good ending, I strongly recommend, that you create for your vms a snapshot, especially before an update. There have been numerous users, who lost their guests, because they had missed to create the snapshot.
xGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xGuy »

I will remember the need for a snapshot - thank you. VirtualBox is relatively new to me as I had used VMWare for many years and saw no need to change.
nashjc
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox VMs don't start after MInt 21 update - may also need gcc-12

Post by nashjc »

I tried reinstalling virtualbox-dkms but got an error. This pointed me to a make.log that indicated I didn't have the
correct compiler available to build the vboxdrv. I installed gcc-12 and then reinstalled virtualbox and have my VMs
going again. Likely different installations will pose slightly different issues, but the basic block is that a component
is not working and needs to be set up properly.

Posting this in case it helps others.

Cheers,

JN
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox VMs don't start after MInt 21 update - may also need gcc-12

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

nashjc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:35 pm I tried reinstalling virtualbox-dkms but got an error. This pointed me to a make.log that indicated I didn't have the
correct compiler available to build the vboxdrv. I installed gcc-12 and then reinstalled virtualbox and have my VMs
going again. Likely different installations will pose slightly different issues, but the basic block is that a component
is not working and needs to be set up properly.

Posting this in case it helps others.

Cheers,

JN
Thanks so much it certainly helped me. I am running Kernel 6.1 and for the life of me could not get VB working. I saw a thread on the VB website that gave instructions with reference to gcc-12 but it seemed quite involved and I steered clear. After reading your post I installed gcc-12 and it's dependencies through synaptic and VB is finally back on my PC.
Thanks again
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
jfjorgensen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jfjorgensen »

A long-term noob here.

After reading so many posts on this issue, trying this and that and still resulting in dkms errors. It dawned on me that the kernel 5.19 installed for LM 21 might not have the "missing dependencies". So I downgraded my system to the 5.15.0-58-generic kernel. Upon successful reboots and no problems noted, I removed the 5.19* kernel. Of course, I also purged all traces of VirtualBox as well. Then a reboot ensued. Upon verifying 5.15 was the running kernel and 5.19 was not installed, a fresh installation of Virtualbox resulted in success. All my old guests worked with no fuss. BTW - I tried to install Virtualbox before removing the 5.19 kernel and also got the error. I guess it seeks any installed kernel and builds for it.

I reviewed the installation log and noted VirtualBox had removed the kernel components for the 5.19 kernel during compile.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

jfjorgensen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:09 pm A long-term noob here.

After reading so many posts on this issue, trying this and that and still resulting in dkms errors. It dawned on me that the kernel 5.19 installed for LM 21 might not have the "missing dependencies". So I downgraded my system to the 5.15.0-58-generic kernel. Upon successful reboots and no problems noted, I removed the 5.19* kernel. Of course, I also purged all traces of VirtualBox as well. Then a reboot ensued. Upon verifying 5.15 was the running kernel and 5.19 was not installed, a fresh installation of Virtualbox resulted in success. All my old guests worked with no fuss. BTW - I tried to install Virtualbox before removing the 5.19 kernel and also got the error. I guess it seeks any installed kernel and builds for it.

I reviewed the installation log and noted VirtualBox had removed the kernel components for the 5.19 kernel during compile.
I am running kernel 6.1.0.4 seems fine with my PC setup
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2

Return to “Virtual Machines”