Mint 17 Cinnamon / VMWare Workstation 10 problem *Solved*

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ercflemng

Mint 17 Cinnamon / VMWare Workstation 10 problem *Solved*

Post by ercflemng »

I am trying to run a Windows 7 VM in full screen mode using VMWare Workstation 10.0.2. Every time I enter full screen, the application window minimizes and won't come back, but he VM is still running.
It works fine in Windowed mode.
It works fine in Mint 16 in full screen mode on the same computer.

I've tried both a clean Mint 7 install and an upgrade through aptitude with the same result.
The laptop is an HP Elitebook 850 with discrete video (AMD Radeon HD8730M) and on-chip video (Intel Haswell chipset).
I've also tried with default video drivers and AMD's latest drivers (14.10.1006.1001)

I'm at a loss on this one...... anyone have any other ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bolhuismn

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon / VMWare Workstation 10 problem

Post by bolhuismn »

Same here!

Running Mint 17 on HP Zbook 15 with NVIDIA card.
Doesn't matter which driver I use, just won't enter full screen.

For the moment I'm using vmplayer, but I'de rather use the console option.

Because you are using complete other drivers, I think it's safe to assume this isn't a driver issue.

Are you using Mate or Cinnamon?

Other strange issue I've noticed is the missing menu-items in both console view and vmplayer. The only menu I see is 'File'.
The menu's are still available but aren't visible until you hover your mouse on the original locations......
splashd

Post by splashd »

Same here, Dell XPS 13 running LM 17 Cinnamon and VMware WS 10.02: I only see "File" menu and my VM disappears when it starts up, though it's running in the background...weird.
I also have a problem with Chromium, but likely unrelated--the UI fonts are HUGE. Chrome and Firefox are fine though...
mdspencer_uk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mdspencer_uk »

I was having this problem too with Mint 17 Cinnamon and installed the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package. Menus appeared fine after this. Not sure if there are any side-effects from installing the package, but you may want to try this.
murphyjr

Post by murphyjr »

I had the same issue, menu items were not visible but could hover over and see the drop down, also full screen mode was not working and would just minimize the guest to the panel.

I cannot be 100% sure if only the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package is what fixed it (thanks for the suggestion mdspencer_uk) as I was in the midst of installing Mate to switch desktops. My previous install was Mint 14 Mate and everything worked fine so figured switching back from Cinnamon might fix it. I had installed mate-desktop and mint-meta-mate while browsing forums and came across this thread. The mint-meta-mate dependencies include the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package.

I was able to remove mate-desktop and mint-meta-mate without breaking the menus and full screen mode. Still running Cinnamon and very happy that everything appears to be working correctly now.
ercflemng

Post by ercflemng »

Winner winner, chicken dinner! :D

Installing the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a seems to have done the trick.
Many thanks to mdspencer_uk & murphyjr for the info.

Did a fresh install of Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit and VMWare Workstation 10.0.2 along with the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package and voila! Full screen now works and all of the menu options are visible.
bolhuismn

Post by bolhuismn »

mdspencer_uk wrote:I was having this problem too with Mint 17 Cinnamon and installed the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package. Menus appeared fine after this. Not sure if there are any side-effects from installing the package, but you may want to try this.
Nice, Nice, Nice!
Installing the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package did the trick for me for both the menu and the fullscreen :-)

Many thanks!
comedybob

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon / VMWare Workstation 10 problem *Solved

Post by comedybob »

Thank you!

This also worked for me with VMware Workstation 9. Was having identical issues and the addition of libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a resolved them in one step.

I had an additional issue with Workstation 9 not covered in this thread: I had to patch the vmnet module for the new kernel. Did no one encounter that problem in v10?
NiteRain

Post by NiteRain »

I am having the same problem; the only menu option I can see is File (the menus are there). I installed libgtkmm-2.4.1c2a, however the full window issue, and the menu remain the same. To get Windows 7 to load, I went in and changed the on start up option, which works. But would like to fix the issue.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Winner! winner! for me, too.
VMWare Player 6.0.3 build-1895310
Thanks.
-Hinto
kelfen

Post by kelfen »

Thanks Guys!
It works! :D
abdoo2020

Post by abdoo2020 »

it fixed in my pc thanx man
peterchan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peterchan »

mdspencer_uk wrote:I was having this problem too with Mint 17 Cinnamon and installed the libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a package. Menus appeared fine after this. Not sure if there are any side-effects from installing the package, but you may want to try this.
Worked!!!. Thanks!!!
strykerun

Post by strykerun »

Stumbled across this thread in a last ditch effort to get missing menus on VMware WS 11, and libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a worked like a charm. Thanks!
Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu »

I just wanted to reply by saying thank you for this critical information. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P notebook PC and I use Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" 64 bit GNU/Linux and VM Ware Workstation 11 64 bit for GNU/Linux and this solution worked for me.
jerseytim

Post by jerseytim »

Thank you! This also worked for me with VMWare Workstation 10 by installing libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a.
essjae

Post by essjae »

This worked for me with LinuxMint 17.1 + Cinnamon and Workstation 11 and Player 7.

Return to “Virtual Machines”