UserBenchmark - post your results

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

UserBenchmark - post your results

Post by powerhouse »

Benchmarks help us better compare the performance of different virtualisation techniques versus bare metal Windows installations. A helpful and free Windows benchmark tool is UserBenchmark which is growing in popularity. See http://www.userbenchmark.com/.

Here are my results running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on Xen:

UserBenchmarks: Desktop 65%, Gaming 19%, Workstation 49%
CPU: 81.2% Intel Core i7-3930K
GPU: 10.6% Nvidia Quadro 2000
SSD: 60.8% XEN PV DISK 118GB
HDD: 50.6% XEN PV DISK 1.5TB
HDD: 95% XEN PV DISK 1.5TB

Obviously my Nvidia Quadro 2000 pulls down the general score, be it the desktop score or the workstation score. I bought the Quadro 2000 to use with Lightroom and Photoshop, and there it does work nicely. Gaming, however, is not its strength.

I cannot directly compare my Windows VM performance with a bare metal performance, since I run Windows only as VM and have no bare metal installation. But I would be very interested to see the performance difference between bare metal and VM. So please post both VM performance and bare metal performance, if you can.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: UserBenchmark - post your results

Post by powerhouse »

Here my results with a KVM and a new Nvidia GTX 970 graphics card:

UserBenchmarks: Desk 63%, Game 71%, Work 56%
CPU: 69.7% Intel Core i7-3930K
GPU: 78.9% Nvidia GTX 970
SSD: 68.2% Red Hat VirtIO 118GB
HDD: 50.6% Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB
HDD: 103.4% Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I reran this benchmark (I had done some tweaking in the qemu startup script and wasn't sure my last benchmark reflected these tweaks).

Hardware:
Intel i7 3930K 6-core CPU
Nvidia GTX 970 GPU
32 GByte RAM
Drive C: Samsung EVO 850 250GByte SSD
Drive F: 2x WD20EARX HDD (LVM) in stripe mode
Drive G: 2x WD.. HDD (LVM)

EDIT: Here my VM configuration:
CPU: 10 VCPU (4 of 6 cores = 80%)
RAM: 20 GB using hugepages / preallocated memory

UserBenchmarks: Gaming 77%, Desktop 72%, Workstation 66%
Processor: 81.3%
Graphics card: 78.7%
SSD: 64%
HDDs (LVM): 69.1%
HDDs (LVM stripe): 133%
Memory Kit: 96.7%
Last edited by powerhouse on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleJoey

Post by LittleJoey »

Alright, so I went ahead and installed Windows 8.1 as I would normally in its own hard drive, then passed this drive to the Linux VM; I can now effectively dual-boot as well as run the Win8 VM. Note: The Barracuda 500GB is the one that Win8 is installed on.

So first a benchmark, Booted directly into Windows 8.1:
UserBenchmarks: Game 74%, Desk 59%, Work 42%
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 - 80.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 86.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 77.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB - 67.2%
RAM: Unknown F3-12800CL9-4GBXL 8313 CL9-9-9 DDR3 1600 04CD F3-12800CL9-4GBXL 8313 CL9-9-9 DDR3 1600 16GB - 58.8%
MBD: MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751)

Now for the test running in Linux Virtual Machine:
UserBenchmarks: Game 63%, Desk 44%, Work 32%
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 - 60.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 77.7%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 500GB - 60.1%
RAM: QEMU 1x8GB - 56.5%
MBD: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009)

Thoughts:
Now, I had configured the CPU to use 75% for the VM, so the 60.5% is spot on actually.
Losing 8.8% GPU to overhead isn't terrible
Again, losing 7.1% HDD to overhead isn't too bad. I'm thinking that I really should either get another SSD or use the SSD I have and split it between Windows/Linux installs. As of right now the VM feels a bit laggy, but I haven't actually tried doing anything yet besides setting up network drives and such. So far I'm happy though! Being able to run the VM or boot directly into Win8 is a really nice option to have.

Edit:
After a couple days:
So after playing a few games, it became apparent that AAA games like Witcher 3 and GTA V suffered greatly in the VM compared to native. I'm pretty sure that it is due to my sub-par processor and HDD. Other games that aren't so demanding like Stellaris and Divinity Original Sin all work just fine in the VM, though.

I think I'll continue dual-booting when playing the more demanding games, and once I upgrade my processor/motherboard/HDD-SSD things should improve drastically.
Last edited by LittleJoey on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ludo_Kressh

Post by Ludo_Kressh »

So here are my first benchmarks, got some more experimenting to do with my SSDs, so Ill see how this changes when I get chance to go through all of that.

So,

VM
CPU - Intel Core i7-3930k (4 cores used) - 75%
GPU - Nvidia GTX Titan - 91.2%
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB (using 230 GB image, RED Hat VirtIO) - Got an error on this not sure why. Ill look into this
RAM - Corsair CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 (4 GB) - 109 %
MBD - Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Dont really understand the SSD, it does the tests and produces results but doesnt show it at the end.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

LittleJoey wrote:Alright, so I went ahead and installed Windows 8.1 as I would normally in its own hard drive, then passed this drive to the Linux VM; I can now effectively dual-boot as well as run the Win8 VM. Note: The Barracuda 500GB is the one that Win8 is installed on.

So first a benchmark, Booted directly into Windows 8.1:
UserBenchmarks: Game 74%, Desk 59%, Work 42%
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 - 80.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 86.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 77.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB - 67.2%
RAM: Unknown F3-12800CL9-4GBXL 8313 CL9-9-9 DDR3 1600 04CD F3-12800CL9-4GBXL 8313 CL9-9-9 DDR3 1600 16GB - 58.8%
MBD: MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751)

Now for the test running in Linux Virtual Machine:
UserBenchmarks: Game 63%, Desk 44%, Work 32%
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 - 60.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 77.7%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 500GB - 60.1%
RAM: QEMU 1x8GB - 56.5%

Thoughts:
Now, I had configured the CPU to use 75% for the VM, so the 60.5% is spot on actually.
Losing 8.8% GPU to overhead isn't terrible
Again, losing 7.1% HDD to overhead isn't too bad. I'm thinking that I really should either get another SSD or use the SSD I have and split it between Windows/Linux installs. As of right now the VM feels a bit laggy, but I haven't actually tried doing anything yet besides setting up network drives and such. So far I'm happy though! Being able to run the VM or boot directly into Win8 is a really nice option to have.
Thanks LittleJoey!

Do I understand you correct: you boot the same Windows 8.1 install directly or as a VM? Or are they two different installs?

In case you use the same Windows installation, it must be installed directly on the drive.

With regard to VM performance, it might be better to use LVM (logical volumes under Linux), unless you pass through the disk controller (which you didn't, since then you would use the native Windows driver).

Could you clarify whether you use two copies of Windows 8.1 (one for the dual-boot, one for the VM), or one and the same installation for both?

I'm a bit surprised at the noticeable difference in GPU performance, though it still is way better than any emulation or other technology I know. But then, 10% I guess is acceptable.
LittleJoey

Post by LittleJoey »

Basically I have the 500gb HDD, and installed Windows 8.1 directly to that one on its own, outside of Linux or the VM.

Then I had to re-install windows 8.1 through the VM since it wouldn't boot, but it reinstalled fine. Then I rebooted back into Windows 8.1 directly to re-install all of the native drivers. So now I can boot into Linux and then boot up the VM, or I can choose to boot directly into the same Windows 8.1 install, bypassing Linux. I figure this might be preferable for really intensive games until I can upgrade my computer some more. I need to get a new motherboard and processor eventually.

To pass the entire drive, I used this code:

Code: Select all

-drive id=disk0,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,file=/dev/sdb \
Unfortunately my motherboard only has one SCSI controller for all 6 ports, so the VM still has to use the virtio driver.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

LittleJoey wrote:Basically I have the 500gb HDD, and installed Windows 8.1 directly to that one on its own, outside of Linux or the VM.

Then I had to re-install windows 8.1 through the VM since it wouldn't boot, but it reinstalled fine. Then I rebooted back into Windows 8.1 directly to re-install all of the native drivers. So now I can boot into Linux and then boot up the VM, or I can choose to boot directly into Windows 8.1 and bypass Linux entirely!

To pass the entire drive, I used this code:

-drive id=disk0,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,file=/dev/sdb \
Unfortunately my motherboard only has one SCSI controller for all 6 ports, so the VM still has to use the virtio driver.
Wow, so you do have only one Windows 8.1 installation! I never thought it was that easy.

With regard to passing through a SCSI controller: you can get a SCSI controller PCIe card for little money. But then - never touch a running system. The performance gain would probably be negligible.

I myself never used PCI passthrough on SCSI controllers, since I like to have access to all of my drives from within Linux. I might process photos under Windows in Lightroom, and while Lightroom is batch processing the photos I switch to Linux and email some finished jpegs. So I jump back and forth between Windows and Linux quite often, or remote desktop to Linux from within Windows. I just have to make sure that accessing Windows partitions (volumes) from Linux is done in read-only mode while Windows is running.
To access the Windows volumes from within Linux I use kpartx - see viewtopic.php?f=42&t=111783
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Ludo_Kressh wrote:So here are my first benchmarks, got some more experimenting to do with my SSDs, so Ill see how this changes when I get chance to go through all of that.

So,

VM
CPU - Intel Core i7-3930k (4 cores used) - 75%
GPU - Nvidia GTX Titan - 91.2%
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB (using 230 GB image, RED Hat VirtIO) - Got an error on this not sure why. Ill look into this
RAM - Corsair CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 (4 GB) - 109 %
MBD - Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Dont really understand the SSD, it does the tests and produces results but doesnt show it at the end.
Thanks Ludo_Kressh! You got some nice hardware. Regarding SSD, make sure you ran

winsat formal
on the command prompt inside Windows 10. This is to make sure Windows recognizes the SSD as such. See step 8 in my KVM how-to.

As you go along optimizing your VM performance, please share the results and the configuration changes. I did a lot of trial and error, but may have missed some important tweaks that can make a difference.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I followed the steps described here, that is I patched the Windows Nvidia driver to remove the "accidental" search for a hypervisor. Windows 10 now starts without the "kvm=off" option. Here the userbenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 76%, Desk 67%, Work 66%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K - 78.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 78.3%
SSD: Red Hat VirtIO 118GB - 71.1%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB - 76.6%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB - 117.5%
RAM: QEMU 20GB - 98.8%
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Enabling hypervisor extensions in the qemu command line got me these results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 75%, Desk 63%, Work 64%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K - 75.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 78.4%
SSD: Red Hat VirtIO 118GB - 75%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB - 72.4%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB - 98.5%
RAM: QEMU 20GB - 97.1%
MBD: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996)
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I've removed the patched Nvidia driver and updated to the latest 372.90 Nvidia driver, and added the kvm=off option to the qemu startup command. Here are the results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 76%, Desk 75%, Work 66%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K - 85.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 78.3%
SSD: Red Hat VirtIO 118GB - 83.1%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB - 72.1%
HDD: Red Hat VirtIO 1.5TB - 166.6%
RAM: QEMU 20GB - 98.3%
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

The UserBenchmark website actually provides a lot of information that can help select the right hardware as well as compare and improve performance. I wrote a post on that here.

Return to “Virtual Machines”