VirtualBox 5.0 Released

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TucsonDoug

VirtualBox 5.0 Released

Post by TucsonDoug »

How can the people in charge of the software repository be notified that Oracle VirtualBox version 5.0 has been released?
VirtualBox 5.0 was released a week ago, but the installer for "the current version of VirtualBox" still points to version 4.3. I'm new to Linux, so if this problem is actually the result of user error, please school me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: VirtualBox 5.0 Released

Post by Cosmo. »

The experience with VirtualBox over man years (I use it since version 1.6) shows, that every major release shows a more or less great number of problems. So it is not advisable to jump directly to a new major version, as log as you a) do not urgently need the new features or b) you are a software tester. You may take a look into the VB forum to find the current discussion about 5.0.

Even the older versions of VB get regular updates, at last at the same time of the VB5 release. So you should use 4.3.30 at now.
TucsonDoug

Post by TucsonDoug »

Thanks Cosmo (Cramer?);
That's a very reasonable answer - and sounds like good advice. However, there are at least two improvements in v.5.0 that I definitely want. I have the feeling that the repository maintainers just need to be notified that a major new version has been released.
Thanks Again,
Doug
cetin

Post by cetin »

I use Virtualbox since many years and I had no problems up to now. my Host/Guest : Mint 17.0/WinXP.
After upgrading to 5.0 I realized that the WinXP cannot see/read the Shared Folder since an error happens during installing Guest Additions: VBoxService.exe cannot be replaced.
Do somebody has the same problem and is there a solution ?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The VB-forum is full of complaints - as usual after an major update.

I cannot tell you a secured solution. You can try this:
  • Downgrade VB. But don't ask me, if this leads to additional conditions.
    Launch the XPguest in safe mode and try there to update the guest additions.

Return to “Virtual Machines”