which version of VMWare Player on Mint 13?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

which version of VMWare Player on Mint 13?

Post by fraxinus_63 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 am

VirtualBox is my virtualisation solution of choice. However, for reasons too complicated to explain, I would very much like to install VMWare Player on my 64-bit Linux Mint 13.

I have found a link to the current version (VMware Player 7.1.2) - but can anyone advise me as to whether or not this version will work?

Thanks in anticipation to anyone who has advice or suggestions about this.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: which version of VMWare Player on Mint 13?

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 am

Without sounding like I'm trying to be sarcastic--wouldn't it be best to just try it? Even if it worked for everyone else, it might not work for you.
Example: I prefer VMWorkstation to VirtualBox. (although I'm running VBox just now, because the only Workstation license I have is for 9). But Workstation on certain versions of Ubuntu and, in my case, Betsy, doesn't work without you adding a script. Also, because of my hardware, certain functions are unavailable.
So with all this said, probably the only indicator of whether it'll work for you is your own personal experience. Anyway, wouldn't uninstallation be easy enough?
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:Without sounding like I'm trying to be sarcastic--wouldn't it be best to just try it? Even if it worked for everyone else, it might not work for you.
Dear Fred - thanks for your reply and I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I was not suggesting I'd just like to try VMWare as a virtualisation option to see whether I liked it or not, or whether it worked for me. My specific question was whether I should be trying to install the CURRENT VERSION of VMWare Player (7.1.2) on Mint 13, or whether I'd need an older one for what is now a slightly old (albeit still supported) version of Mint. VMWare Player 7.1.2 is a BIG download and I was wondering if it's worth starting the process in the first place!

Actually I have a specific reason for trying to get it working on my present Mint 13 box. I used VMWare constantly several years ago, and I have reasons for wanting to resurrect some old VMWare virtual machines which I never thought I'd need again :-). It''s a pain, but I cannot easily get round it.

Thanks in anticipation for any insights anyone can share. I have plenty of experience (some of it rather trying) with VMWare and I am aware that some slightly tricky configuration will almost certainly be involved in the "end game".

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:11 pm

No worries, mate. I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, I have no idea! :(
Are you aware that you can run VMs made in Workstation in VBox? I have a Windows 10 VM I made in Workstation (on Windows) and I'm running it on VBox on Linux.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:05 am

Thanks Fred. I live in the countryside and my Internet is often slow - a 200Mb+ download which might not work is a slight pain, which is the main reason I asked.

I have a couple of leads I'm going to follow, even if one of them does involve gritting my teeth and downloading the big bundle!

https://blogs.oracle.com/oswald/entry/i ... virtualbox
https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-insta ... ux-mint-11

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi fraxinus_63,

Been using VMware Player for several years, first on Windows, now Mint (17.2 Cinnamon). After spending time trying version 7, currently my personal preference is version 6.
While version 7 contains some interesting improvements, it also (annoyingly) has some features removed.

Having also used VirtualBox, I find one area where VMware really shines is there guest advanced graphics capabilities, most programs run well and without graphical glitches.

If helpful, 6.0.6 is the latest VMware Player version 6 for GNU/Linux. Sorry, not able to answer if it will work on Mint 13. On the plus side, if you find it is compatible, installation is very easy.

David

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:43 am

David Black wrote: If helpful, 6.0.6 is the latest VMware Player version 6 for GNU/Linux. Sorry, not able to answer if it will work on Mint 13. On the plus side, if you find it is compatible, installation is very easy.
Thanks for your advice David. I'll brave the big download and give this a spin as soon as I can.

Return to “Virtualization”