Cinnamon > VM and Windows with fully encrypted HDD?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tulip

Cinnamon > VM and Windows with fully encrypted HDD?

Post by Tulip »

For those whom have read I originally used the acronym LVM which is 'Logical Volume Manager' What I meant to say was VM virtual machine.

OK, from what I've read, to have both Windows (Vista) and LM 17.2 Dual boot with the entire HDD encrypted is to much of an effort having to use for example truecrypt and possibly multiple pass phrases amongst other quirks. So I've come to a conclusion that if I install LM Cinnamon on the entire HDD and encrypt it I can then install a Virtual Machine and install Vista in it. This should achieve the objective and one pass phrase whilst having access to both O/S at the same time if needed. So I have a few questions for those in the know.

It's an old laptop Toshiba L300 dual core 2GH 3GB RAM 120GB HDD with Vista 32bit, used to be TrueCrypt encrypted.(It does the job and it's still quick:)).

So here goes:

1 - Fully encrypted LM HDD > LM running a Virtual Machine > Virtual Machine running Vista, how slow would it be, technically Vista being the 4th layer.

2- Having cloned Vista with its 100MB partition and main partition shrunk down to 60GB can I then install that clone into LMs' Virtual Machine or do I have to do a complete Vista reinstall and activation?

3 - This is possibly an unknown until I try it: I have a couple of programs that are hardware locked. If I can install the Vista clone will the hardware locked software still see/recognize the laptops hardware as being the same through the Virtual Machine. Actually this applies to Windows as well.

4 - Is there an idiot proof tutorial on how to do the above, I don't have problems with using the terminal.

5 - I also have one of those pocket wifi modems and couldn't get it to work with LM live CD through the USB which is faster, Only got it to work through the WIFI. In theory it should work for I have had it working on Tails (I think) years ago on a non WIFI PC, but it's been years since I touched Linux. Any known tutorials on getting them to work.

6 - If I can do the above Vista being 32bit and running in the Virtual Machine should I install 32bit LM or 64bit LM. Stability being preferred.

7- Which Virtual Machine would you recommend.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Virtual Machines”