Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using kvm VGA passthrough

Post by powerhouse »

Hello bash64, thanks for sharing the fix for dual graphics!

Regarding Threadripper, and Ryzen too, there are some things to consider. Generally speaking, AMD doesn't support QEMU and Linux as good as Intel does. There have been some major hiccups in the past. Right now most of the CPU features are supported, except perhaps for proper L3 cache topology support, which is quite a bummer to me.

On the good side for AMD, right now it works surprisingly well with QEMU 5.0 and also with QEMU 4.2 if setup correctly.

You should be using Linux Mint 20 by now, as it comes with QEMU 4.2. I've written a tutorial for a Ryzen setup that should principally work for Threadripper too. See Creating a Windows 10 VM on the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X using Qemu 4.0 and VGA Passthrough. Note that I wrote that for Pop_OS, but if you use grub instead of kernelstub, it should work in Linux Mint.

You might want to compare your configuration with the one in the link. Note that the tutorial gives a basic configuration that still can be optimized. You will probably want to use EPYC instead of "host" (host-passthrough).

Right now I'm on Manjaro, but I plan to switch back to Linux Mint 20 when I find the time. Then I will also be able to add a new tutorial for Linux Mint 20 (which shouldn't be much - if any - different from the Pop_OS tutorial).

I'm also trying to figure out the best configuration for my Ryzen 3900X system, which I will share when ready.
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro, AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU, 2x32GB Corsair DDR4, water cooler, GTX 970 + Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Samsung 500GB + 1TB NVMe + Samsung Evo 1TB SSD + 4 HDD, Corsair 500R, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS https://heiko-sieger.info

Return to “Virtualization”