Virtualbox -- Yea!

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Virtualbox -- Yea!

Post by mike acker »

I've just started using the package known as "Virtualbox"

this provides me the ability to run a Windows8.1 system as a "guest o/s" -- on my MINT 17.3 backup box

the software seems to me to be top shelf . so far the issues have been my need to "learn the ropes"

it appears to me this is an excellent alternative to having a dedicated Windows system -- just to run those last 2 or 3 applications -- that we do not have Linux .deb files for yet;
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
wong

Re: Virtualbox -- Yea!

Post by wong »

Wine might be worth a look too if you've not already checked it out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

wong wrote:Wine might be worth a look too if you've not already checked it out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
I would try that first. It's a good pc of software.

in my case the software that i wanted to use didn't work with Wine ( not all windows aps do )

i found the Virtualbox to be a stronger solution -- although -- user will need a Windows install disk
I used an OEM/Windows 8.1
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Windows as Virtual Machine within the confines of VirtualBox, is a much safer solution than Wine. Even more secure than a dual boot. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Pjotr wrote:Windows as Virtual Machine within the confines of VirtualBox, is a much safer solution than Wine. Even more secure than a dual boot. :)
that is a very important note

Windows is very vulnerable
however: attacks are most often delivered via the web browser or via a phishing message or some kind of infected document

with Windows running in Virtualbox there is no need to run the browser or e/mail -- or even dropbox -- in the Windows environment.

in my case i will use only the Epson scanner, Canon DPP, and Turbotax in the Windows guest

a system like dropbox is probably not a hazzard per se -- however-- one might open an infected MSFT document from that source. In Linux the virus would likely be ineffective but that would not be true in the MSFT environment .

Good thought Pjotr !
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

VBox is great!
(I started out with VMware Workstation, so VBox looked rather "amateurish" to me when I moved to it... shortly afterwards I realised that while VMW Workstation kept pressuring me to upgrade to the newest Workstation (and buy the corresponding license!) VBox was free and could do everything I needed plus some!

Currently I've got 18 VBox VMs and I'm adding more rather frequently--just finished installing Manjaro 16.06, actually.

I still want to learn qemu... or xen... or kvm... or whatever it's called since it seems to be easier on system resources, which I don't have a lot of, but for now VBox offers a great solution for me. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

VBox is certainly a great idea:

in mine there is a couple of windows & several linux guests,
at any given point in time,
and the list does vary a little as well, as some other system is "tested".

& if I've really liked it - then it sometimes gets a 'bare metal' install as well,
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I like using Vbox to try new things on Linux without effecting my main installation.

It's great for experimenting.
Len Lane

Post by Len Lane »

Currently I have a dual boot system, Windows 7 and Linux Mint.
My only reason to retain Windows is the need to run MicroSoft Money program.
Would running MS Money within Wine or Virtualbox be a better option, and getting rid of the dual boot?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Welcome to the 21st Century there Kalamazoo. :lol:
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Yes, Virtualbox is very good. I was triple booting my Macbook with OS X, Mint and W10 but I decided that Virtualbox is a better solution for those few times that I need Mint or Windows on the Macbook.
I made a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo4BnCL9n4o
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The results in the WineHQ database for Money are very varying, depending from the version. Impossible to tell, if and how it works.

In Windows it will work regardless if Windows is installed on a physical or on a virtual machine.

Return to “Virtual Machines”