Error message

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SayCheeze

Error message

Post by SayCheeze »

I've used Virtual Box and use it on my main system at the shop, but this a.m. I thought I would look at a linux version of a VM software on this machine at my 2nd location.

When I downloaded the required pkg's for the program under Virtual Machine Manager , I got this at the end..

Unable to connect to libvirt.

Unable to connect to libvirt.

Verify that:
- The 'libvirt-bin' package is installed
- The 'libvirtd' daemon has been started
- You are member of the 'libvirtd' group

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1027, in _open_thread
self.vmm = self._try_open()
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1009, in _try_open
flags)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 105, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Error message

Post by Cosmo. »

Which packages did you download? Precise name please.
SayCheeze

Post by SayCheeze »

Cosmo. wrote:Which packages did you download? Precise name please.
I went to the software mgr, and typed in Virtual Manger. It returned several programs. I picked the top one. "Virtual Manager"

Virtual Machine Manager 0.9.5

It's not a biggy. I can delete the software, and use Virtual Box. Just thought I would try another VM client.

BTW, that error message comes up when I try to run the software..
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The word "download" lead me to the assumption, that you did download something from a web-site, Oracle most likely.

But your last reply confuses me even more:
At first if I enter virtual manager in the search bar of the software manager I get a zero result. So I have no idea, what you mean.
At second: version 0.9.5 does not match with the supported versions of VirtualBox.

What is the version of Mint that you use? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
SayCheeze

Post by SayCheeze »

System: Host: OptiPlex-360 Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa

BTW, version 0.9.5 came directly from "about" tab on the program.

I'm going to go directly to the source, and try to install it from here..

https://virt-manager.org/

Well, I ran this command....
apt-get install virt-manager (Debian)

It installed, but I still get the same error message when I try to run the Virtual Machine Manager...

Oh well.

At least there is the Oracle product I can install and use.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Obviously not VirtualBox, which you mentioned in the original post and primarily related to KVM, which I don't use.
SayCheeze

Post by SayCheeze »

Cosmo. wrote:Obviously not VirtualBox, which you mentioned in the original post and primarily related to KVM, which I don't use.

I said this in my original post. "I've used Virtual Box and use it on my main system at the shop, but this a.m. I thought I would look at a linux version of a VM software on this machine at my 2nd location."

I do use Oracles Product "Virtual Box" at my main studio. I thought I would try a "Linux" based / style product here on my test machine at a 2nd location.

Thanks

Return to “Virtual Machines”