Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zeozod
Level 1
Level 1

login screen themes not showing

Post by zeozod »

I installed LinuxMint 17.3 (within VirtualBox under an OSX host). I select a login screen theme, but all I see is a cross-hatched gray background to the login screen. I tried clicking on the gear icon on the dialog where I chose the theme and got the same result. Could I have accidentally disabled the theme mechanism somehow?
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: login screen themes not showing

Post by Cosmo. »

Please provide a screenshot.VirtualBox has an own function for that, press host-e. (host is usually the right ctrl-key, but I don't know, what it is on an Apple-keyboard, but you can read this in the status-bar of the running machine on the very right.)
zeozod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeozod »

It seems that the two themes that I happended to attempt (Numox and Zukitwo) were the only ones not available for some reason. These came up with a login screen that was functional, but that was entirely black&white with a crosshatched background. My guess is that oit is some kind of fallback theme that gets used when a specified theme is unavailable. The other themes work great.
Prlwytzkofski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Prlwytzkofski »

I wanted to use the numix login theme and I too found out that I saw my background of choice flashing in a split second followed by the gray background.
It turned out to be a bg.png in this path:/usr/share/mdm/html-themes/Numix/img/
the image is 1.5 MB in size. I simply renamed it and put my image in its place as bg.png and now I have my image of choice at login.
So the bottom line would be that the background choice in the MDM-settings should replace this bg.png with the file of choice but effectively does not.
Just my €0.01...
Prlwytzkofski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Prlwytzkofski »

After upgrading to Serena the background was overwritten and again I had to replace it as described before.

Return to “Virtualization”