how to update VirtualBox software SOLVED

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

how to update VirtualBox software SOLVED

Post by mike acker »

I've been running Virtual Box very successfully for a while not on a MINT 17.3 base

when i start the system at times it will announce there is a software update. and, a link for a download is provided.

the download is a .deb in the /Downloads directory

Question: can I just do apt-get install -- or do i need to do apt-get remove first and then the install

it's my understanding the installed VM -should not be affected by the update
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: how to update VirtualBox software

Post by Pjotr »

Well, you can of course put the VB repo in your sources list. But if all works well in your current version, I'd simply disable the "new version" notification in the preferences and stick to what you've got.

Updating VB is cumbersome, because it entails updating the Extension Pack and the Windows Guest Additions in your Windows VM as well, which doesn't always go smoothly. My own VB version works fine, and I've no intention to update it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I disagree with Pjotr in this case in several points:

At first: VB 5.0.x is still filled with numerous bugs. Leaving them open is a bad choice.

At second: The update is indeed very simple: Download the new version, double click it and will be opened in GDebi, than click to install. This process is as simple as installing any software via Software Manager. Ready so far.

There is no need - at least not for minor updates - to remove the previous version before, so skip this part.

Mike, you are right, that your machines do not get affected by the updates - just as your office documents do not get affected by updating LibreOffice.

The first time you open the VB Manager after the update you get a popup message, that the extension pack is not up-do-date and you get offered, to download and install it directly. (This does only apply for the Oracle version, not a repository version.) Accept it. Having different versions of VB and the extension pack is a usual cause for problems. When the download has succeeded you have to accept the license (the extension is proprietary software) and you get asked if you want to update the existing one. Accept it.

Done.

Regarding the guest additions: It is advisable to update the guest additions also, but if you do not, the VM will not break (but there could be regressions because of the incompatibility). Probably the guest OS gives you automatically a notification, that a newer version of the guest additions is available (E.g. Cinnamon does). Again you do not have to remove the old additions at first, but you call the guest additions from the devices menu just as if you had done for the first installation. Accept the popup to execute the installer, the rest will run as you had seen it in the past. If the update is complete, you will read in the terminal, that you have to reboot the guest. That's all.

I have done my last VB-updates just 2 days ago. There was no problem, neither with my Mint-guests nor with my XP-guests.

BTW: If you still have the fear, that there might brake anything by the guest additions update - this obviously does changes to the guest - than you can create a snapshot for the guest before you launch it. In the - unlikely - case, that there should be a problem, going back to the snapshot point (in the VB Manager after powering down the VM) means, that the VM is exactly at the same state as before (inclusive the old guest additions of course).

Only caveat: In case, that you did not shut down your guest, but used the save state function for quitting, you should at first start the VM and shut it properly down.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

I ran through the update earlier today.
it worked perfect.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Re: how to update VirtualBox software SOLVED

Post by Plons »

I am a beginner with Oracle VB.

Today I wanted to add a second guest OS, being Win7 64 bit.
I wasn't aware that for 64bit Guest OS's you need a motherboard and CPU with virtualization. My PC is too old for this.
Like I said, I didn't know it. Following another thread about VB, viewtopic.php?p=1164290#p1164290 , I decided to uninstall the VB software that I installed from the Package Manager, so I clicked Menu, All Application, Oracle Virtual Box, RMK (Right Mouse Key), Uninstall. It did that. Then I went to Oracle's site and downloaded the version for Ubuntu 14, 64 bit. Installed it.
Now I was in trouble because I could no longer start Package Manager. Odd. So I rebooted.
A big oooops. My Mint 17.3 Mate 64b didn't start.
That is IMO the biggest nightmare, .... at least for me.
I was still in the process of sorting out how to make a proper backup. So no, I didn't have a backup.
Lucky that I had not trusted my work to it.

Lesson learned.
I re-installed Mint from scratch.
First make a good backup procedure. Working on that now.

Two important things for fellow Mint VB users:
1. 64 bit Guest OS ? You need a motherboard and CPU with virtualization
2. Uninstalling Oracle VB and installing a version can break your system.

I don't have a question. Just want to let you know that things can go bad with VB.

Nard
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: how to update VirtualBox software SOLVED

Post by Pierre »

had lots of fun in getting win-10 to work in a VB
:twisted:

this is a 32bit PC but the CPU does have the required PAE/NX
as well as VTx technology.

all of which must be ticked in the VB settings.
- and enabled in the PCs bios.

it took ages to work all that out, as Mr Google wasn't terribly helpful.
:(
and would be similar to running any 64bit O/s in a VB.
- so you can run at least some 64bit systems on a 32bit PC.
but there sure are some limitations.
( that was the 32bit win-10 too )
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Virtual Machines”