Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

VirtualBox Suddenly Goes Root and Unlaunchable

Post by jimwg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Greetings:

I am waiting for the forum administrators at VirtualBox to open my account for posting for days, but I'll chance that a Mint maven here can help me resolve this way before then as all my Google and Bing searches for a lucid solution have come up dry. Thanks for any assist!

I am running VirtualBox on Linux Mint 18 on a 64bit Thinkpad T400. VB has been smoothly running the Windows 7 mode very well for over two weeks but this morning when I fired up VirtualBox I got a pop-up:

You have an old version () of the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installed. Do you wish to download latest one from the Internet?

I clicked yes:

Are you sure you want to download the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack from download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox /5.1.8/ Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.8.vbox-extpack (size 19,457,682 bytes)?

I clicked yes:

The Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack has been successfully downloaded from http: //download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.8/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.8.vbox-extpack and saved locally as /home/ jimwg/.config/ VirtualBox/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.8.vbox-extpack.
Do you wish to install this extension pack?

I clicked yes:

An newer version of the extension pack is already installed, would you like to downgrade?
Extension packs complement the functionality of VirtualBox and can contain system level software that could be potentially harmful to your system. Please review the description below and only proceed if you have obtained the extension pack from a trusted source.

Name:
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
New Version:
5.1.8r111374
Current Version:
r0
Description:
USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption.

I clicked install:

After this I clicked my VM short-cut and got a pop-up reading:

Failed to load R0 module /usr/ lib/ virtualbox/ VMMR0.r0: The owner is not root: '/usr' (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).
Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

On advice by Ubuntu mavens on Google, I opened the desktop in root and clicked my VM shortcut I got:

There is no virtual machine with the identifier 29e5a3cc-7dfc-41d2-8789-c1e7671f6a2b.
Could not find a registered machine with UUID {29e5a3cc-7dfc-41d2-8789-c1e7671f6a2b}.
Result Code:
VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Component:
VirtualBoxWrap
Interface:
IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}

When asked to downgrade I clicked yes then a pop-up:

Failed to install the Extension Pack /home /jimwg/ .config/ VirtualBox/ Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.8.vbox-extpack.
The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: The owner is not root: '/usr'.
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface:
IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}

The only large non-Virtualbox modifications I've made to my Mint system was installing Chromium then Chrome and trying to get some Win apps running in CrossOver. Maybe I should have never installed the update. I am a non-techie but will mug through any directions given me. What can I do?

Thanks for any advice!

Jim in NYC

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: VirtualBox Suddenly Goes Root and Unlaunchable

Post by Pierre » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:44 pm

have you exported the working Guest ( backed it up) ??
- that's the first thing that you should do, after getting a Guest system operating. .. ..

next - uninstall the VB program itself - don't remove any installed Guest VBs - leave in place.
then, re-install the same VB program - - it's still in your /downloads folder ?
finally, use then re-install the Guest program - -that's still in your /downloads folder ?
- don't use the VB program to re-install the Guest program - it'll still install the newer version :(

this is how I've extracted myself, from this same situation :!:
- yep - - made the mistake of removing the existing VBs - when removing the VB program,
& then had to re-import them all back, again. :roll:
- - the newly install VB program will recognize any existing VBs - if you do leave them in-place.
& then I've had to re-install those couple of Guest system - that I'd not exported .. ..
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:55 pm

I believe I had this issue in past, if I recall correctly I just fixed the permissions and it stopped complaining.

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Pierre wrote:have you exported the working Guest ( backed it up) ??
- that's the first thing that you should do, after getting a Guest system operating. .. ..

next - uninstall the VB program itself - don't remove any installed Guest VBs - leave in place.
then, re-install the same VB program - - it's still in your /downloads folder ?
finally, use then re-install the Guest program - -that's still in your /downloads folder ?
- don't use the VB program to re-install the Guest program - it'll still install the newer version :(

this is how I've extracted myself, from this same situation :!:
- yep - - made the mistake of removing the existing VBs - when removing the VB program,
& then had to re-import them all back, again. :roll:
- - the newly install VB program will recognize any existing VBs - if you do leave them in-place.
& then I've had to re-install those couple of Guest system - that I'd not exported .. ..
:o
Very much appreciate the rapid assist! I only cloned one VM but didn't export or copy it to another drive if that's what required. I should've copied it all on a flash drive.

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:45 pm

AscLinux wrote:I believe I had this issue in past, if I recall correctly I just fixed the permissions and it stopped complaining.
That would be great if that's all it takes! Can you tell me what permissions to fix and how? I'm just an old non-techie playing it by ear! Thanks!

Jim in NYC

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:06 am

The owner is not root: '/usr'
^^ This is from your post. Check who owns it now ls -l and fix it if it is not root with chown. Then run the application again, see if there is another ownership error, if I recall correctly there were a few.

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:18 am

AscLinux wrote:
The owner is not root: '/usr'
^^ This is from your post. Check who owns it now ls -l and fix it if it is not root with chown. Then run the application again, see if there is another ownership error, if I recall correctly there were a few.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what I'm seeing in that ls readout. Can anyone here instruct this non-techie just how to use it to fix my issue or how it got manged in the first place? I skimmed Google and I get faint leads that installing Adobe might change permissions somehow -- which is what I tried to update in Chromium. Thanks!

Jim in NYC

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:13 am

I did your solutions rather sloppily, jumping back and forth from root:root to jimwg:root several times. By ubuntu maven advice I used sudo chmod 4711 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to get VB up and running again but my tinkering messed up Gnome Commander from going into root mode till I was instructed to use su -c "apt-get install --reinstall -y sudo" to get it back. The synaptic manager didn't open so instead I changed its icon's configuration on the XFCE's panel from synaptic-pkexec to gksudo synaptic to launch it. So far everything else seems to work normal. If any of you feel these aren't culture fixes please alert me for a more genuinue fix.

Thanks for your assist!

Jim in NYC

Return to “Virtualization”