VirtualBox can't see USB

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaszasp

VirtualBox can't see USB

Post by kaszasp »

Dear All,

Background data:
My OS: Linux Mint 17.3

VirtualBox version: 5.0.2 r102096. I have installed it from the Linux Mint official repository, that is why it's not the latest version.
I have added the extension pack that I downloaded from this link: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_0. The extension pack's version number corresponds to VirtualBox's version number and the extension pack installed without any problems.
I have added the guest additions in the VM as well and it installed without any problems.

Guest OS in VB: Windows 7 64-bit with IE, downloaded from here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/

My problem is that the virtual machine in VirtualBox can't see any USB devices attached. I have tried it from the devices menu, tried to play around with which USB versions to use but nothing happened.

I would like to use it support the openambit project, an open source project to allow Suunto sports watch users to connect using Linux. Right now, VirtualBox can't see any USB devices, not just the watch.

Many thanks for your help,
Peter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chrisuk

Re: VirtualBox can't see USB

Post by chrisuk »

From the Virtualbox help
The Linux installers create the system user group vboxusers during installation. Any system user who is going to use USB devices from VirtualBox guests must be a member of that group. A user can be made a member of the group vboxusers through the GUI user/group management or at the command line with

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers username
Change username to yours if using the terminal command quoted
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc »

I had this issue too, adding userid to groups fixed it. Am surprised this hasn't been fixed in VB install scripts as it wasn't an issue in the past.
kaszasp

Post by kaszasp »

Hi

How very stupid of me not finding this.
Thanks for the help, anyway.
It solved the problem.

cheers
Peter
chrisuk wrote:From the Virtualbox help
The Linux installers create the system user group vboxusers during installation. Any system user who is going to use USB devices from VirtualBox guests must be a member of that group. A user can be made a member of the group vboxusers through the GUI user/group management or at the command line with

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers username
Change username to yours if using the terminal command quoted
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

kaszasp wrote:Hi

How very stupid of me not finding this.
Thanks for the help, anyway.
It solved the problem.

cheers
Peter
Not "very stupid", just a bit lazy like me... I can't remember the last time I read a manual before using a new program ;)

Return to “Virtual Machines”