(Solved) Virtualbox help required

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Virtualbox help required

Post by Mazda81 »

I am trying to get to grips with Virtualbox but I have a problem. I tried to install Xubuntu 64-bit in Virtualbox to try a different version of Linux. I get the error message "requires x86-64 CPU only detected an i686 processor"
My machine has an AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor. I am running Linux Mint 18.1 xfce 64-bit without problems. Am I limited to the 32-bit Xubuntu option, for some reason?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I noticed the virtualisation category after I had posted here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Virtualbox help required

Post by Pierre »

moved your post to Virtualization. .

under settings - CPU - check the box for PAE,, VTx,, & see if that makes any difference:
- when testing win-10, some two years back, I'd a lot of issues in getting that to work,
until the correct CPU settings were checked.

you've probably got a similar issue with that VBs settings.
- yes - you have to do this every-time, on every VB that you try out.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks Pierre,
I will try your suggestion later today & I'll post the outcome here.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Here is a list with the prerequisites for installing a 64 bit guest OS.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks for the replies.
In Vbox under processor the only option is "enable PAE/NX" which is automatically checked. When I select new and enter Xubuntu the only options shown are for 32-bit versions. I could download a 32-bit version of Xubuntu but I think it would be easier to create a live DVD and use that instead of Vbox. I was just experimenting with Vbox to see if it could be useful but it seems complicated getting it to work. I did manage to get it to work with an old copy of Windows XP but it was asking for service pack 3 which doesn't seem to be available any more. (I wanted to keep a version of itunes for my iPad because no Linux program will recognise it).
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mazda81 wrote:I am trying to get to grips with Virtualbox but I have a problem. I tried to install Xubuntu 64-bit in Virtualbox to try a different version of Linux. I get the error message "requires x86-64 CPU only detected an i686 processor"
My machine has an AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor. I am running Linux Mint 18.1 xfce 64-bit without problems. Am I limited to the 32-bit Xubuntu option, for some reason?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I noticed the virtualisation category after I had posted here.
I took a screenshot from my Virtualbox. Do you have an option like this?
Virtual Box.jpg
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mazda81 wrote:When I select new and enter Xubuntu the only options shown are for 32-bit versions.
In this case (at least) one of the given prerequisites is not fulfilled. My suspicion is #2 and if you are in bad luck, your BIOS does not allow to change it.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks JerryF & cosmo,
When I click on the dropdown menu as shown in your screenshot all options are 32-bit only. I haven't checked the bios settings but you're probably right. I do have another machine with a Pentium dual-core processor so I might try using that instead. The only problem is that I don't have much free space as I'm dual-booting Linux Mint with Vista which takes up a lot of disk space.
I would like to ditch Vista now support is ending but I need it for itunes.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I have installed Vbox on my second machine and despite the host being 64-bit all options in Vbox are 32-bit only. I'm probably going to have to use 32-bit.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

See cpu information, no mention of virtualisation. I guess that's the problem.

CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 15
Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz
Stepping: 13
CPU MHz: 1000.000
CPU max MHz: 2167.0000
CPU min MHz: 1000.0000
BogoMIPS: 4322.21
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 1024K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,1
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Your CPU supports 64 bit, but not vt-x. So it cannot work with 64 bit guests.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks Cosmo,
I won't waste any more time on it. I'll stick to 32-bit guests.

Return to “Virtual Machines”