Win10 1703 will not boot on VirtualBox in Mint

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jumptothebase

Win10 1703 will not boot on VirtualBox in Mint

Post by jumptothebase »

Hello! :)

I cant install Win10_1703 in VirtualBox (Linux Mint 18.1 x64 Cin), previous builds went fine. With 1703 (creators update edition) i only get the MS WIN logo with no circle going round and round, all the VirtualBox settings were the same as with the previous builds.
Note that the same Windows.iso works fine in VirtualBox under Windows.
What seems to be the problem here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Win10 1703 will not boot on VirtualBox in Mint

Post by Pierre »

some new change with the way that the World of Windows is working .. ..

I'd the same sort of issue, when win-10 1st came out,
& it took several days to figure out what was going on.

so, you're going to have to be prepared to do the same ,
ie: spent some time on it, if you really wish to get CU to work in a VB.

strangely enough, the VBs that I'd made in 2015, are tricky to get working in a VB,
on this machine & it took a little messing around, to get those backups working again.
- such is the Way that Windows Works
:(
unreliable, at Best.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just a suggestion but you should post where you got the VBox package and what version you are using. It makes a difference:

The version of VBox in the Min18 repository is: 5.0.36

The current version of VBox from Oracle is: 5.1.20
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

jumptothebase wrote:Note that the same Windows.iso works fine in VirtualBox under Windows.
What seems to be the problem here?
As altair4 hinted, if using an older VirtualBox version, download 5.1.20 direct from Oracle's website (you'll need the Xenal version for your CPU type).
Once installed, if still no go, try booting with 3D acceleration disabled/enabling, make sure 2D acceleration is enabled.

Try copying the (Windows 10).vbox setting file from Windows (host) to Mint (host), this ensures you're using the same VirtualBox settings that work on the Windows host.
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

Maybe the problem is that there are bugs in Windows 10 1703? The following article gives reason to believe 1703 isn't mature enough yet ...
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/2 ... rs_update/
Perhaps we just have to wait a bit?

After Win10-1703 failed to let itself be installed in Virtualbox 5.0.40_Ubuntu-r115130 (from the official repository) I tried Win10-1607, which installed without problem. (LM18.1-64bit MATE is host on this machine.)
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

After automatically updating (grrrr...) from Win10-1607 to Win10-1703 on Virtualbox Version 5 immediately Win10 wouldn't boot anymore. Since this is on my production machine I played a bit with it.

I already had "3D Acceleration" (under "Display") turned off as it seems to get mixed up sometimes with Firefox on my machine (perhaps because I've forced hardware acceleration?), so all trials here had "3D-Acceleration" turned off.

Paravirtualisation Interface
Playing with the "Paravirtualisation Interface" finally got Win10-1703 working on Virtualbox 5 by selecting "None" with "Enable VT-x/AMD-V". After booting up once it appears the "Paravirtualisation Interface" setting becomes less important. Currently I have it set to "Default" again and Win10 boots in Virtualbox 5 OK.

In the short time since I've had to repeat this procedure once, so it may not be 100% stable. Since it is now working I can't now test this solution for reproducibility. Perhaps this will work for others?

Equipment
  • Linux Mint 18.1 Serena, 64bit, MATE
    Gigabyte Technology motherboard with 8MB RAM (Core i5 CPU)
    nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics (integrated GPU disabled)
    Virtualbox Version 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130
    Win10-1607 updated to Win10-1703
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

altair4 wrote:Just a suggestion but you should post where you got the VBox package and what version you are using. It makes a difference:

The version of VBox in the Min18 repository is: 5.0.36

The current version of VBox from Oracle is: 5.1.20
I am running 5.1.22 and have been notified that 5.1.26 is available. The older VB versions had trouble with 4.10 series of kernels on my system but worked well with the 4.4 series (thanks Cosmo!)
PCAdvisorUK

Post by PCAdvisorUK »

Just a note, I have managed to get this working using the following config:-

VBox 5.0.40 Ubuntu r115130

stage 1, create VRMachine default settings for win 10. enable efi, disable PAE/NX, set paravirtualization to none..... boot off dvd, install windows 10 1703

stage 2, after windows has installed do the following, if it fails to boot. turn off virtual machine. set paravirtualization to legacy. turn virtual machine on..... and off you go.

this worked for me!!

have fun...
fnerkyboy

Post by fnerkyboy »

Hi Guys.

My Windows 10 VM stopped booting after updating to V 1703.

Host PC is as follows:
Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya

After changing ParaVirtualisation as per PCAdvisorUK, it is now all good.

Thanks Guys :)

fnerkyboy
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

This happened again after the recent "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1703" i.e. Windows 10 would not boot. Turning Paravirtualisation to "none" allowed booting, as described in my posting above. But after booting once then changing Paravirtualisation back to "default" prevented booting.

Changing Paravirtualisation to "legacy" was successful :D (although booting was slow).

Aside: Btw, this "Feature Update" for Windows reactivates/reinstall Microsoft's OneDrive, Cortana, anti-privacy features, and other bloat-ware stuff. If you've got rid of these then you may have to get rid of many of them again.

Return to “Virtual Machines”