Hyper-V?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jgoemat

Hyper-V?

Post by jgoemat »

I've installed Mint in a Hyper-V virtual machine on my Windows 10 Pro box, but the video driver doesn't seem to be useful. I found a couple pages in my searching and installed some extra driver packages and rebooted, but I can't tell if they did anything. The display is still slow as molasses, like 2-3 frames per second dragging the startup window around after logging in...

Are there any instructions on how to use Mint in Hyper-V or am I stuck with another distribution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hyper-V?

Post by Pierre »

most of the available instructions are like this one:
http://www.technig.com/install-linux-mint-on-hyper-v/
and they don't go into getting drivers for the Guest System.

there is some extra information, like this :
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/05/h ... n-hyper-v/
the main issue seems to be that it performs much better if the Linux distribution supports Integration Services (IS),
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Better late than never. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... on-hyper-v, specifically under "Notes". You need to install the specific packages provided by Ubuntu/Linux Mint, depending on the corresponding Ubuntu release.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
verdy_p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verdy_p »

beside the recommendations to create the disk volume with ext4 and specific cluster sizes (for best performance when using .VMDX virtual drives), by first booting with the Live mode on RAMDISK to partition the disk yourself and create the ext4 volume with the best options, you just have to do this when the system is restarted:
- first make sure your distribution is up to date. Using the mintinstall tool (the initial ISO is always late from recent updates not integrated)
- apply the new kernel if needed (look at the Microsfot page for the supported versions to get the maximum benefit of Hyper-V integration), it speaks about Ubuntu LTS versions, but Mint is built as a derivative from Ubuntu and uses the same kernels.
- install the reduced kernel version to reduce the unneeded drivers in a virtual environment and get faster boot (optional):
sudo apt install linux-virtual
- install the tools. If you did not make the previous installation, run:
sudo apt install linux-tools linux-cloud-tools
- otherwise run these to reduce the dependencies and overhead of the two previous packages
sudo apt install linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual

The linux-tools and linux-cloud-tools provide the additional integration tools and include the Hyper-V pravirtualization drivers (including the Hyper-V virtual bus driver that interconnect the Hyper-V host hypervisor with the other guest drivers for Linux

Note that the format integration tools on an ISO is no longer supported, the linux-tools packages are best as they are updated more easily (they also install much faster as they are precompiled and are easier to maintain after Linux kernel maintenance or Linux security updates, and they are integrated with the apt repository of installed packages)

Return to “Virtual Machines”