Anyone used RobotLinux VM in mint 17.3

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chameau
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone used RobotLinux VM in mint 17.3

Post by chameau »

I,m currently dual-booting Linux Mint 17.3 64 bits and Windows XP 32 bits. Everything is working fine no problems, but I'm getting a bit tiered of 're-starting' from one OS to the other OS!
I still need Windows to run some software for which I have not been able to find a good Linux replacement (like: MYOB, ChiefArchitect, FoodWorks, etc.) so completely ditching Windows is not an option.

I been considering 'Virtualization' software to run Windows from inside of Mint. In my search I came across 'Robotlinux' and their apps to backup a Windows install (and all installed apps) into a file that can simply be unpacked into a VM thus not having to re-install Windows and all apps and updates etc.. They also have 'primers' to setup a VM environment for various version of Windows - all sounds very good and convenient, but is it? where is the catch? Yes there is a small fee, but if it does what it promises, it's well worth-it.
I'm interested your opinions (especially if you actually used it). :?:

One problem I'm aware off is that the version of Windows I want to place in a VM is the one I currently dual-boot with Mint, so it probably wont boot? Once unpacked in the VM, I would probably have to run a Windows boot repair to get rid of 'Grub' and restore Windows boot files. :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers

Chameau
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Anyone used RobotLinux VM in mint 17.3

Post by Pierre »

I've also got a Desktop that dual_boots win_xp & LM17.2
& whilst most of the installed windows software, it is also installed in ./wine on the LM17 system.
8)
there is also a copy of RoboLinux in an VB, along with several other Linux, & Windows in various VBs.
- on a Test Machine, for that sort of stuff.
but, not their proprietary software, as such.

as well as the RoboLinux software, you can also use the win-xp backup software,
and then import that backup into your windows VB.

apart from their Fee, their system apparently does work well.
and I've not looked into whether their software moves the windows system,
or just duplicates it - this could also require the windows system to install & work in that VB - first.

the other consideration, is to whether you need the windows system to have an internet connection.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

chameau wrote:the version of Windows I want to place in a VM is the one I currently dual-boot with Mint, so it probably wont boot?
The problem is another one. Your license allows you one(!) installation of XP. And you have to activate XP after installation. This might create a problem, as you now have 2 systems with one license - obviously illegal.

I don't know Robotlinux and I have no idea, how this program will handle the activation problem. Fact is, that XP checks via the hardware detection, if the activation key is valid. As the virtualized hardware in a VM is quite different to any real hardware the activation will very most likely have to be done again.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's true, as well - - the windows licensing is the real consideration,
not the copy / removal of the existing windows system.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
chameau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chameau »

Cosmo. wrote:
chameau wrote:the version of Windows I want to place in a VM is the one I currently dual-boot with Mint, so it probably wont boot?
The problem is another one. Your license allows you one(!) installation of XP. And you have to activate XP after installation. This might create a problem, as you now have 2 systems with one license - obviously illegal.

I don't know Robotlinux and I have no idea, how this program will handle the activation problem. Fact is, that XP checks via the hardware detection, if the activation key is valid. As the virtualized hardware in a VM is quite different to any real hardware the activation will very most likely have to be done again.
The VM would be installed on the same machine that currently dual-boot Windows, so the physical hardware would be the same and I would delete the dual-boot Windows (just keep Linux Mint with the Windows VM) do you think Windows would still see the VM hardware as different? if that is the case I maybe able to un-activate before copying to VM and then re-activate. :o
Cheers

Chameau
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - - the copied windows system will detect it's new environment,
& will then may require another re-activation.
- you may not be able to transfer the licence to the VB system, either.
:o
how much RAM does this machine have ?.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

chameau wrote:The VM would be installed on the same machine that currently dual-boot Windows, so the physical hardware would be the same and I would delete the dual-boot Windows (just keep Linux Mint with the Windows VM) do you think Windows would still see the VM hardware as different?
Yes, without any doubt. The OS in a VM does not know, that it is running in an virtual environment, it takes the virtualized hardware as the real one. And as VirtualBox virtualizes nearly every hardware component, the activation key, that gets computed on the virtual system, will be a different one than on the hardware.

Speaking about a fresh installation of XP inside of a VM (I leave RobotLinux out here) you will get requested to activate this system. Depending how much time ago you activated the physical install this might work without problem. Otherwise you will have to tell a MS employee at the phone, that you have deleted the system on the old hardware and that this is the new one for this license. But you might get into trouble, if both systems should go online. (Besides the aspect, that a XP system should not get connected with the Internet at all since some years.)

There is no way to un-activate the XP license except by removing the system.
chameau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chameau »

The licensing issue is even worth than that - From a google search it appears that Microsoft has closed down the XP activation servers and the phone operators refuse to activate because XP is out of support!? I haven't tested this personally, but if it's true the only way left is a 'cracked' version?? Until I get to the bottom of this, I'm not changing my dual-boot setup. :(
Going back to my original question about opinion and experiences with 'Robolinux' has anyone in this forum actually used it to clone a Windows XP or 7?? On Robolinux website they clearly state that 'No additional Windows key required' https://robolinux.org/lm/c-drive-to-vm/
Cheers

Chameau
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

chameau wrote:The licensing issue is even worth than that - From a google search it appears that Microsoft has closed down the XP activation servers and the phone operators refuse to activate because XP is out of support!?
I cannot tell you from experience, if this is true or not, but I have a reason to doubt this. The servers seem to be down indeed, but activating by phone seems to be still possible. Here is a MS support page about activating products. As you can see, XP is explicitly described and if you look near the bottom of the page you can read "Last Review: Jun 7, 2017"; more current is hardly possible and more official not at all.
chameau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chameau »

Cosmo. wrote:
chameau wrote:The licensing issue is even worth than that - From a google search it appears that Microsoft has closed down the XP activation servers and the phone operators refuse to activate because XP is out of support!?
I cannot tell you from experience, if this is true or not, but I have a reason to doubt this. The servers seem to be down indeed, but activating by phone seems to be still possible. Here is a MS support page about activating products. As you can see, XP is explicitly described and if you look near the bottom of the page you can read "Last Review: Jun 7, 2017"; more current is hardly possible and more official not at all.
I followed your link and yes indeed it seems that phone activation of XP still works, however if you follow the link on the MS page 'For more information about how to activate Windows XP, see Setting up Windows XP' http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-xp It's redirects to Windows 10? I'm hesitant to try, because once Windows ask for Activation, I can not simply go back to my dual-booting setup!
Cheers

Chameau
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I cannot do this for you.

When I had to activate my XP - endless time ago - I always did this via phone. What happened is this: If you open the tool, an activation code gets generated. This code gets computed from the license key of your XP CD and the found hardware. Out of this reason it is good to complete the hardware installation (no yellow icons in the hardware manager), otherwise the activation might get invalid and you would have to repeat the activation. Now the call the phone number. This will connect you with an automated system (at least at the time I did this). You get asked to enter the activation key into the telephone and you get via phone an endless activation code back. I did not enter them immediately into the computer, but wrote them on a piece of paper. I remember also, that you get the choice to let the phone repeat the number as often as you want; I did this and double-checked, that I had written the code correctly (and good readable). Afterwards I entered the code into the Windows dialog. This procedure can get cancelled. The important thing is, that you have to complete the activation in 30 days since installation.

Return to “Virtual Machines”