Mint 18.1 slower than 17.1?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geophile

Mint 18.1 slower than 17.1?

Post by geophile »

I am running Mint 18.1 (Cinnamon) on VMWare Fusion 8.5.8, running on an MBP (2.5GHz i7, 16 GB, MacOS 10.12.5). The VM is configured with 1 CPU and 6 GB.

This setup seems very sluggish compared to a Mint 17.1 VM I was using previously. The only variable here is the Mint version -- the VM settings and iOS version are the same as before.

Graphics performance, in particular, seems very slow. Browsers and big applications (e.g. Intellij) sometimes take 1-2 minutes to start. Often there is a very long time lag (30-60 sec) before anything appears on screen at all. I turned off Effects (under Preferences/System Settings), and this helped a little, maybe. Things are sometimes faster, but subjectively, things are just much more sluggish than before.

I'm not even positive this is a Mint question, although as noted above, the only variable here is the Mint version. Any ideas what might be going on? Or some direction to investigate?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 18.1 slower than 17.1?

Post by Cosmo. »

Using VirtualBox I see the same: Mint 18 (even worse) and Mint 18.1 run much slower compared with any 17.x variant. Wait a short time, with Mint 18.2 (currently at beta state, final release is in preparation) the speed is back where it should be.

Return to “Virtual Machines”