I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help (SOLVED)

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help

Post by Pierre »

just to backtrack a little - - that picture that you displayed,
can you set that to USB 1.0 :?: which is the 1st item on that list.

then follow what Cosmo has said, about adding yourself to 'group vboxusers '
- that step will also be needed, too.

it's what Bolle1961 was mentioning, as well.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
werner147

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help

Post by werner147 »

Cosmo. wrote:Perfect! You are already on the way of learning.

So as we now know the basic of your system:
Open the menu -> administration -> Users & Groups.
Inside mark your account. You will see at the right side near the bottom a list of groups, you are in. (The same, as in the output of the groups command further up.) This list is actually a button. Click and it will open a sub-dialog. Look for the group vboxusers and set a check mark. After closing all dialogs log out of your account and back in (or reboot). Now repeat the groups command in the terminal, you should now see also vboxusers listed there.

If this has succeeded come back with your next question.

Code: Select all

werner@werner-SATELLITE-C660:~$ groups
werner adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers
werner@werner-SATELLITE-C660:~$ 

werner147

Post by werner147 »

werner147 wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:Perfect! You are already on the way of learning.

So as we now know the basic of your system:
Open the menu -> administration -> Users & Groups.
Inside mark your account. You will see at the right side near the bottom a list of groups, you are in. (The same, as in the output of the groups command further up.) This list is actually a button. Click and it will open a sub-dialog. Look for the group vboxusers and set a check mark. After closing all dialogs log out of your account and back in (or reboot). Now repeat the groups command in the terminal, you should now see also vboxusers listed there.

If this has succeeded come back with your next question.

thanks Cosmo,
what must I do next, so I can use my usb-stick in my VB ?
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Pierre wrote:just to backtrack a little - - that picture that you displayed,
can you set that to USB 1.0 :?: which is the 1st item on that list.

then follow what Cosmo has said, about adding yourself to 'group vboxusers '
- that step will also be needed, too.

it's what Bolle1961 was mentioning, as well.
:)
[img]/home/werner/Bureaublad[/img]
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

good.

now - - have you set that 'groups virtualbox'
then run that: Open a terminal and enter groups. again
- what is the result, now ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Pierre wrote:good.

now - - have you set that 'groups virtualbox'
then run that: Open a terminal and enter groups. again
I've looked in groups for virtualbox but Its not there, I dont see it

[img]/home/werner/Bureaublad[/img]
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yes - - it's that vboxusers, as shown in that picture:
so, now run that: Open a terminal and enter groups again
it should now have vboxusers - in that list.
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Pierre wrote:yes - - it's that vboxusers, as shown in that picture:
so, now run that: Open a terminal and enter groups again
it should now have vboxusers - in that list.

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so - - does the usb stick now work in that VB ?

another thing, to check out, is the shared folder option, also in the VBs settings.
- I'm often using an usb stick, as that shared folder,
between both the Host Linux & the Guest Windows systems.
8)
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Pierre wrote:so - - does the usb stick now work in that VB ?

another thing, to check out, is the shared folder option, also in the VBs settings.
- I'm often using an usb stick, as that shared folder,
between both the Host Linux & the Guest Windows systems.
8)
I've tryed to put in my Garmin GPS while the vb was running. the vb was searching for the de drivers from the garmin device, but failed to install the driver.

how can I use the shared folder between host (linux) and guest (windows) ? please tell me, please step by step if you can.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hmm - did think that win-7 may then fail to install the appropriate drivers
:(

that shared folder:
- settings - Shared Folders - - last item in list
if you have, say an usb stick connected, to the Linux Host:

then R/click the label called "Machine Folders" - - Add Shared Folders
- in the new dialogue box - - click on the triangle on the RHS
- click on other
in the Places List - select that Usb Stick - Open

check either available check-box, if it's needed
- click OK

do all of that without the VB running .. then Start that VB.
- the VB should now offer to install drivers for the newly discovered hardware. ..

and this is where you may get stuck, again:
- the win-7 won't install the correct drivers.
:twisted:

if so, then you are back to another DDG / Google search,
- for each of those issues.
but, that's very standard, when dealing with any Microsoft Product
:(
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

werner147 wrote:what must I do next, so I can use my usb-stick in my VB ?
At first read my warning again. If there should data get lost, it will be your own responsibility.
werner147 wrote:I've tryed to put in my Garmin GPS while the vb was running. the vb was searching for the de drivers from the garmin device, but failed to install the driver.
The good new: Your virtual machine has recognized the usb device, otherwise Windows would not search for drivers.

The bad news: What follows now is solely a Windows thing; it doesn't matter, if Windows runs in a physical or virtual environment. You have to provide the drivers just as you would do this with a physical Windows installation.
werner147 wrote:how can I use the shared folder between host (linux) and guest (windows) ? please tell me, please step by step if you can.
Open from the running virtual machine the devices menu of VB -> shared folders. In the upcoming dialog click on the right side the top most icon with a + sign; a new dialog will open -> folder path: Open it and select "change"; this will present a usual Linux Mint Cinnamon dialog, where you can navigate and select the folder (inside of the host), which you want to share. Back in the sub-dialog activate "mount automatically" and "create permanently"; whether you set "only readable" is up to you; it means, that the guest (here Windows) can only read, but not write in that Shared Folder. Close all dialog with the "OK" button and reboot the guest. The Shared Folders will appear as an additional drive letter.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "werner147",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

Nice Avatar ...

I just read your post and the very good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well. Don't forget to unmount (dismount?) your USB devices before unplugging them in VirtualBox, or Linux Mint.

This is just for your information, since you are getting good help right now...

How to Access USB from VirtualBox Guest OS, July 22, 2016
https://www.linuxbabe.com/virtualbox/ac ... x-guest-os

How to access USB Drive in VirtualBox guest OS?
https://www.htpcbeginner.com/access-usb ... -guest-os/

USB devices are not recognized in Virtualbox (Linux host)
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/200 ... linux-host

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Cosmo. wrote:
werner147 wrote:what must I do next, so I can use my usb-stick in my VB ?
At first read my warning again. If there should data get lost, it will be your own responsibility.
werner147 wrote:I've tryed to put in my Garmin GPS while the vb was running. the vb was searching for the de drivers from the garmin device, but failed to install the driver.
The good new: Your virtual machine has recognized the usb device, otherwise Windows would not search for drivers.

The bad news: What follows now is solely a Windows thing; it doesn't matter, if Windows runs in a physical or virtual environment. You have to provide the drivers just as you would do this with a physical Windows installation.
werner147 wrote:how can I use the shared folder between host (linux) and guest (windows) ? please tell me, please step by step if you can.
Open from the running virtual machine the devices menu of VB -> shared folders. In the upcoming dialog click on the right side the top most icon with a + sign; a new dialog will open -> folder path: Open it and select "change"; this will present a usual Linux Mint Cinnamon dialog, where you can navigate and select the folder (inside of the host), which you want to share. Back in the sub-dialog activate "mount automatically" and "create permanently"; whether you set "only readable" is up to you; it means, that the guest (here Windows) can only read, but not write in that Shared Folder. Close all dialog with the "OK" button and reboot the guest. The Shared Folders will appear as an additional drive letter.

hello Cosmo, thanks for the warning. the main problem of this usb is solved. many many many friendly thanks for all the good help you guys gave me.

linux is the best, its hard at the start, but with this amount of good help, linux rocks the night away :D :D :D :D thanks again guys for all the good help
werner147

Post by werner147 »

phd21 wrote:Hi "werner147",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

Nice Avatar ...

I just read your post and the very good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well. Don't forget to unmount (dismount?) your USB devices before unplugging them in VirtualBox, or Linux Mint.

This is just for your information, since you are getting good help right now...

How to Access USB from VirtualBox Guest OS, July 22, 2016
https://www.linuxbabe.com/virtualbox/ac ... x-guest-os

How to access USB Drive in VirtualBox guest OS?
https://www.htpcbeginner.com/access-usb ... -guest-os/

USB devices are not recognized in Virtualbox (Linux host)
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/200 ... linux-host

Hope this helps ...
thanks for the nice compliment for my avatar :) I like it to :) .
thanks for the web links, they are good to read and understandable for beginners like me. I hope they will be good for other beginners to, if they should read this post.
thanks again for the good help, this makes linux so great
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "werner147",

You are welcome...

Glad you have it working now...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Citizen229

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help (SOLVED)

Post by Citizen229 »

I am having USB issues as well. I got my user added to vboxuser. I am able to add my usb stick to vbox. With guest Os running the usb Icon in the vbox window confirms vbox sees the usb stick. Now when I go to actually install driver for my usb in win7 guest:
1) the cd that came with my mobo will not run. "Utility is not for this platform"
2) windows cannot find the driver from device manager when pointed at the cd
3) fresh download of driver from mobo manufacturer, device manager will not find the driver when pointed to that folder
4) windows cannot find driver after searching update library
the weird thing is I was able to install audio drivers from the disk but not usb
I am missing somethingand stuck with a ! on my device manager
Mint 18.1 host/win7 pro guest
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help (SOLVED)

Post by Cosmo. »

Did you open the CD from the devices menu of the running VM?

Return to “Virtual Machines”