[SOLVED} Virtualbox update to 5.1.28

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rlwa32

[SOLVED} Virtualbox update to 5.1.28

Post by rlwa32 »

I previously followed the excellent advice in these forums to uninstall version 5.0.40 from the Mint repos and upgrade to 5.1.26 from the Virtualbox.org site. I followed all the instructions and added the VBox repos (and keys) to Mint's updating mechanism.

Today I see that mintupdate is offering to install 5.1.28. Oddly, the VBox gui check for available updates does not advise the availability of 5.1.28.

So my question is -- Is it safe to update Vbox from 5.1.26 to 5.1.28 through mintupdate or should I follow the manual uninstall/reinstall procedure that I used to move from 5.0.40 to 5.1.26? Should I wait for the VBox gui to recognize that an update is available?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minitux

Re: Virtualbox update to 5.1.28

Post by minitux »

The PPAs needed for this purpose, update the programs along with system updates

If you have the VBOX ppa, it is better to follow the updates of mintupdate IMHO, but expect other opinions, I have never used the VBOX ppa
rlwa32

Re: Virtualbox update to 5.1.28

Post by rlwa32 »

The VBox gui has reported the availability of the update to 5.1.28. I decided to use mintupdate to handle the task. The update went smoothly and after starting the VBox 5.1.28 gui it asked me about updating the installed extensions. I proceeded to update the extensions through the VBox gui. Finally, I restarted my VMs and updated the guest additions.

Everything went smoothly and no problems were encountered.

Return to “Virtual Machines”