Mint Mate 18.2, VirtualBox 5.x, dismal network performance

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lewone

Mint Mate 18.2, VirtualBox 5.x, dismal network performance

Post by lewone »

I have been using vmware workstation for decades (literally) but heir linux client software is still 'not ready for prime time' and I have only two VMware Windozes machines that I feel obligated to maintain for historical reference. I plan to make a separate bootable drive with Mint-Mate 18.2 and vmware player 12.5 for those two images. Thus I have been testing some of the alternatives for my future needs.

Hardware:
HP-8460W ( i7-2670QM ) laptop workstation
16 GB ram
Plextor 512 GB SSD (internal)
SPCC 60 GB SSD (upgrade bay)

I am running the hypervisors of clean installs of Linux Mint 18.2 (updated) via the upgrade bay

Among those are Oracle's Virtualbox. I am very pleased with the graphics performance (shocked actually) but my local area network performance is nothing short of dismal. The host machine gets about 60MB/sec copying file. The Vbox client gets about 800-900 kB/sec. I have tried various adapters for the client as well as both bridge and nat networks. I have run out of ideas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lewone

Re: Mint Mate 18.2, VirtualBox 5.x, dismal network performance

Post by lewone »

Well I am gluten for punishment and after three days of testing every configuration I can think of on two machines I have to say that the performance of Virtualbox 5.x on Linux Mint 18.x is dismal --- that includes the version in Synaptic package manager. These two pics are from a HP 8300SFF with an I7-3770 and 32 GBytes of ram.
Pathetic: 1MB/sec for the guest on a host that has up to 65 MB/Second performance.
Linux Mint 18.2 Vbox 5.0.40 -001.jpg
Linux Mint 18.2 Vbox 5.0.40 -002.jpg

This is a link to a similar thread on the vbox forum: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 11#p403911
I can not believe that I am the only one that has this problem unless no one else is using Vbox 5.x

Return to “Virtual Machines”