Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4

Virtual box not seeing USB drive

Postby MurphCID » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I have gotten 18.2 up and running in Virtualbox on my Ryzen system, and I have been attempting to copy files such as desktops to the linux box, but the USB is not recognized. Any suggestions?

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Virtual box not seeing USB drive

Postby kyphi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:30 pm

You will have to install the corresponding Extension Pack for the version of VirtualBox you have installed and also check in Users and Groups that your name and admin status is ticked.
After that USB devices will show in VirtualBox.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

pbear
Level 4
Level 4

Postby pbear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:48 am

Also, you have to enable the USB controller. Each machine has to be enabled in its own Settings menu, i.e., there's no global setting.

Maybe you've already done both those things, but they're the first items on the checklist, so making sure.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

knurveren
Level 1
Level 1

Postby knurveren » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm

kyphi wrote:You will have to install the corresponding Extension Pack for the version of VirtualBox you have installed and also check in Users and Groups that your name and admin status is ticked.
After that USB devices will show in VirtualBox.

I have installed the extension pack but it is not seeing my USB flash drives yet. Howto enable the ticks in Users and Groups? Where is it? Could you please write here in detailed? Thank you...I have ticked the option as USB 3.0 controller from settings of Virtualbox.
Best regards...
We are all brothers and sisters.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kyphi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 pm

"Users and Groups" is an entry under "Administration" in your main menu.
When you open it, you will see 2 headings: Users (which will show your name) and Groups. Click on Groups, scroll to "vboxusers", click on vboxusers and then click on "Add".
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 am

The second tab in Users & Groups is for adding or removing groups to the system, it does not add or remove a user to or from a group. The group vboxusers should be automatically added to the system. To add an user to a group you have to mark a user in the first tab, than click on the right side down the list of groups (that are those, where he already belongs to); in the following dialog groups can be (de)selected), to which the marked user shall belong to.

chrisuk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby chrisuk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

It's one of those times when it's easier and quicker to type in the Terminal than navigate a GUI. sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER will add you to the vboxusers group
Chris

Manjaro MATE - Antergos MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Return to “Virtualization”