Virtual box not seeing USB drive

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Virtual box not seeing USB drive

Post by MurphCID »

I have gotten 18.2 up and running in Virtualbox on my Ryzen system, and I have been attempting to copy files such as desktops to the linux box, but the USB is not recognized. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Virtual box not seeing USB drive

Post by kyphi »

You will have to install the corresponding Extension Pack for the version of VirtualBox you have installed and also check in Users and Groups that your name and admin status is ticked.
After that USB devices will show in VirtualBox.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Also, you have to enable the USB controller. Each machine has to be enabled in its own Settings menu, i.e., there's no global setting.

Maybe you've already done both those things, but they're the first items on the checklist, so making sure.
knurveren

Post by knurveren »

kyphi wrote:You will have to install the corresponding Extension Pack for the version of VirtualBox you have installed and also check in Users and Groups that your name and admin status is ticked.
After that USB devices will show in VirtualBox.
I have installed the extension pack but it is not seeing my USB flash drives yet. Howto enable the ticks in Users and Groups? Where is it? Could you please write here in detailed? Thank you...I have ticked the option as USB 3.0 controller from settings of Virtualbox.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

"Users and Groups" is an entry under "Administration" in your main menu.
When you open it, you will see 2 headings: Users (which will show your name) and Groups. Click on Groups, scroll to "vboxusers", click on vboxusers and then click on "Add".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The second tab in Users & Groups is for adding or removing groups to the system, it does not add or remove a user to or from a group. The group vboxusers should be automatically added to the system. To add an user to a group you have to mark a user in the first tab, than click on the right side down the list of groups (that are those, where he already belongs to); in the following dialog groups can be (de)selected), to which the marked user shall belong to.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

It's one of those times when it's easier and quicker to type in the Terminal than navigate a GUI. sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER will add you to the vboxusers group

Return to “Virtual Machines”