sharing folders - QEMU-KVM & Windows guest

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snowcrash101

sharing folders - QEMU-KVM & Windows guest

Post by snowcrash101 »

Hello

I've used virtualbox and sharing folders with a Windows guest is straightforward. Though with QEMU-KVM it doesn't seem to be. I keep reading about samba-share, but it's not clear how to do this. Is there a step-by-step guide that someone could point me to?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
odtech

Re: sharing folders - QEMU-KVM & Windows guest

Post by odtech »

snowcrash101 wrote:Hello

I've used virtualbox and sharing folders with a Windows guest is straightforward. Though with QEMU-KVM it doesn't seem to be. I keep reading about samba-share, but it's not clear how to do this. Is there a step-by-step guide that someone could point me to?

thanks
Hi.

You can read the man pages either in linux or on the web.

Code: Select all

man samba
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/ma ... onf.5.html

For a quick start though you can just do the following.

To install samba

sudo apt-get install samba
Decide which user you will use to authenticate with when accessing the shares from the windows guest. I just use my mint username and same password.

sudo smbpasswd -a <username>
Configure a share.

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
Add the share definition to the bottom of the file. If the folder you are sharing is not in your home directly just make sure the user you specified for authentication has rights to the folder.

[<put share name here>]
path = <path to share>
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
guest ok = no
valid users = <username>
Save and exit
Now restart samba
sudo service smbd restart

Return to “Virtual Machines”