[Solved] Virtual machine crashes system after kernel update

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Virtual machine crashes system after kernel update

Post by Mazda81 »

I am running LM18,3 Cinnamon 64-bit and decided to update the kernel as recommended in the Linux blog in order to get the security update for Meltdown/Spectre.
The updated kernel is 4,13,0-26,
Everything appeared to be working normally until I tried to open Windows 7 in Virtualbox. This causes the host system to freeze, Windows 7 was working fine before the kernel update.
My previous kernel was in the 4,8 series but no patch seems to be available for this series and Update Manager only shows the 4,13,0,26 kernel.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Virtual machine crashes system after kernel update

Post by Cosmo. »

Which version of VB do you use?
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I'm using Vbox 5.0.40
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

I also had issues with 4.13.0-26. An earlier version of Virtualbox (version 4.x - I removed it) caused Mint Cinnamon 18.3's cursor to freeze if I attempted to start any of my installed virtual machines. Additionally, Cinnamon would fail to start on boot as it would not run with my NVIDIA graphics card. I backed down to kernel 4.10.0-42-generic, installed Virtualbox 5.0.40, and things seem to be back to normal. It's not yet clear whether this disabled the latest security patches for the Intel issues. It most likely did, as upon reboot to 4.10 I'm also prompted to update again to 4.13.0-26 with important security updates. As I'm not terribly worried about the Intel issues as they pertain to my personal laptops I think I'll hold off until some of these graphics and vbox issues are addressed. This system is running on an HP Omen laptop with a I7 6th gen. chipset.
Last edited by curtvaughan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I have been checking this forum and it seems that Vbox 5 doesn't work with the latest kernel and that Vbox 5.1 is required. I don't normally install anything from outside the official repository so I will need to find out how to do it if I want to continue using this software. There is some useful information on this page about installing Vbox 5.1 which I will attempt to follow.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Hello curtvaughan
I just saw your post and I'm definitely not an expert but I doubt that you will have the security patch if you roll back to an earlier kernel. Perhaps someone with more experience could confirm?
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

Mazda81 wrote:I have been checking this forum and it seems that Vbox 5 doesn't work with the latest kernel and that Vbox 5.1 is required. I don't normally install anything from outside the official repository so I will need to find out how to do it if I want to continue using this software. There is some useful information on this page about installing Vbox 5.1 which I will attempt to follow.
I tried installing virtualbox 5.1 as per instructions on downloading from http://www.virtualbox.org. The installation worked, but I couldn't get it to install any of my virtual machines from iso's that had worked fine with version 4.x. I removed 5.1 and installed 5.0.40 from the software repos and backed down to kernel 4.10.0-42. Now things appear to be normal again, though there may be security issues that only kernel 4.13 addresses in Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I'm going to wait until the stability issues regarding NVIDIA graphics and Virtualbox are ironed out before doing a kernel upgrade to 4.13.x. Since this is on a personal laptop I'm not as concerned with the Intel chip security issues as I would be for servers or a work environment.

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

VB 5.0.40 is to old and does not include support for the newer kernel (4.8 and above). So you need to install either the newest version of 5.1 or 5.2. (For stability reasons I prefer 5.1.x.) VB is the great exception about the rule about foreign packages; you should use the packages from virtualbox.org.

Uninstall the current version at first, then reboot before you install the newer version. Your existing VMs get preserved by uninstalling VB.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks cosmo,
I'll take your advise and install Vbox 5.1. I'll post the results here later.
I installed Vbox by copying and pasting the link in Easy Linux Tips which installed Vbox 5.0.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Virtual machine crashes system after kernel update

Post by Mazda81 »

I have successfully updated vbox to version 5.1.30 and my Windows 7 guest is working normally again. I was surprised how easy it was to upgrade, I just downloaded the deb package + the extension pack and installed them. I was prompted to update guest additions to 5.1.30.
If I decide to upgrade to version 5.2 do I need to download the latest package or can it be achieved using check for updates in vbox?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mazda81 wrote:If I decide to upgrade to version 5.2 do I need to download the latest package or can it be achieved using check for updates in vbox?
Since you downloaded the installer rather than install from within a package manager, you will need to download the latest packages. Updates for vbox won't appear in the package manager.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

OK, thanks catweazel.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mazda81 wrote:If I decide to upgrade to version 5.2 do I need to download the latest package or can it be achieved using check for updates in vbox?
The update check in VB does nothing more than to look up, if a newer version does exist and offers to download it. Afterwards you have to install it like in case of 5.1

Note, that in case of a major update of VB (like in case of 5.1.x to 5.2.x) you need to uninstall the old version at first before you install the new one. In case of minor updates you can install simply on top of the current installation.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks Cosmo,
That's exactly what I needed to know.
arnabm17

Post by arnabm17 »

I was also having this problem but now solved after upgrading to the latest VB Version 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.1). Now my system is not freezing anymore. Thanks :)
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

arnabm17 wrote:I was also having this problem but now solved after upgrading to the latest VB Version 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.1). Now my system is not freezing anymore. Thanks :)
Which kernel are you running?

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I also had problems with VB5.0.40 and kernel 4.13 - complete lockup. Installed VB5.2.2 and VB5.2.4. Both worked with 4.13 but win7 wouldn't run in seamless mode. I reverted back to VB5.4.40 and kernel 4.4.109 - this all works fine.

Thinking about it again, the problem with the later VBs may have been that my win7 VM had guest additions for 5.0.40 installed not the later versions. At some point I will try this again.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If the version of VB and guest additions do not match at least in the first and second number, the additions cannot work. (I consider VB 5.4.40 as a typo.)
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

For information, when I updated Virtualbox to both 5.1 and later 5.2.4 I was prompted to update guest additions as part of the update process. My Windows 7 guest OS is working fine now. There is another update available [5.2.6] but I haven't installed that one yet.
vakobo

Post by vakobo »

Same problem here. My previous kernel - 4.10.0-42, VB 5.0.40 works fine

Return to “Virtual Machines”