VMware installation

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrmajik45

VMware installation

Post by mrmajik45 »

Is there a way I can have VMware on my PC? Because VirtualBox crashes my PC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sammiev

Re: VMware installation

Post by sammiev »

Used VMware for a few years without issues.

Been away from it for a year or so now as I have enough test computers to run without having to use a VM.

Tried most of the different VM software and found for my needs VMware (free) ran the best.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Thats good. but i asked how.
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happnatious1 »

I installed VMware Workstation on my Linux Mint by going to the VMware site and downloading the Linux installer
lewone

Post by lewone »

I have been running VMWARE for decades and on top of Linux Mint for the past five.
They have two products at this time: VMWorkstation and VMPlayer (Version 14.x)
VMWorkstation Allows to to run multiple machines and access their Enterprise Products
VMPlayer (aka VMware® Workstation 14 Player) is the same basic software but you can only run a single virtual machine at a time

VMPlayer is FREE .. VMWorkstation is a commercial product (i.e. you have to pay for it)
I did try VirtualBox before my last rebuild (October). I had nothing but problems out of it on Linux Mint 18.

I have been running VMPlayer 14.0.0 build-6661328 since November w/o any problem until this month. Apparently the newest Kernels in Linux Mint break the memory allocation VMware uses. Now I have to reboot between every session which is a real pain in the most southern region. The latest version of Vmware (14.1.1 build-7528167) fixes this problem.

HOW:
Download "VMware-Player-14.1.1-7528167.x86_64.bundle" from https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/fre ... layer/14_0
Save it to someplace on your machine
Modify the permissions to "Allow executing file as program" (it is a bash script)
open a terminal session
cd to that location Enter the command "sudo ./VMware-Player-14.1.1-7528167.x86_64.bundle"
Follow the prompts ...

Return to “Virtual Machines”