VirtualBox Error

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skiutah

VirtualBox Error

Post by Skiutah »

I want to preface this post -- being my first one here on the forums -- by expressing how much I love Linux Mint.

The community has done a phenomenal job in creating a GNU/Linux distribution that is enjoyable to use. I have replaced Windows completely on my main computer in favor of Linux Mint 18.3.

That said, I am currently having some difficulty figuring out how to get my virtual OS installation operable again after updating to the most recent version of 18.3 -- I believe there was a kernel upgrade within it that patched the Meltdown/Spectre exploits.

When I installed my current Whonix I utilized the VirtualBox supported on the Linux Mint repositories which was 5.0.40 I believe. Once I updated the to the latest kernel, any VirtualBox installations would freeze up the system as detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=231&t=261462

So I updated my VirtualBox to 5.2.6-120293.

The system no longer freezes but I am presented with an error when trying to start the virtual OS Gateway (see attachments):

I found this thread to try and troubleshoot my issue: https://askubuntu.com/questions/900794/ ... 12-rc-1912

However, it seems like that person had a 32-bit installation that caused his problem. I'm not sure if this applies in my case.

When I run

Code: Select all

dpkg --list virtualbox-*
I get the following output:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un  virtualbox-2.0 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-2.1 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-2.2 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-3.0 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-3.1 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-3.2 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-4.0 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-4.1 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-4.2 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-4.3 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-5.0 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-5.1 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  virtualbox-5.2 5.2.6-120293 amd64        Oracle VM VirtualBox
ii  virtualbox-dkm 5.0.40-dfsg- all          x86 virtualization solution - ker
un  virtualbox-gue <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-gue <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-mod <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  virtualbox-ose <none>       <none>       (no description available)
rc  virtualbox-qt  5.0.40-dfsg- amd64        x86 virtualization solution - Qt 
un  virtualbox-sou <none>       <none>       (no description available)
How do I go about resolving this to where I can once again successfully boot my virtual OS?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: VirtualBox Error

Post by coffee412 »

The kernel module that loads at boot time is the wrong version for what version you have installed. I recommend that you uninstall VB and then re-install from the latest available.

Im not sure you can but you might be able to export your VM to an appliance before uninstalling. Not having the driver available because it does not match what you have might prevent this though. Otherwise, Wipe out virtualbox and reload it.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I get the same errors after going to VB's site and installing as per their instructions. The version that installs with Mint 18.3 package management makes system lock up completely.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine win10.

The virtual machine 'win10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I keep getting this when trying to install/uninstall with package manager:

E: oracle-java8-installer: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I used the synaptic package manager to remove VB 5.2 (the current version from their site as of this writing) and installed 5.1 and Windows 10 is currently setting up and updating in it, so maybe that's the trick?
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Skiutah

Post by Skiutah »

coffee412 wrote:The kernel module that loads at boot time is the wrong version for what version you have installed. I recommend that you uninstall VB and then re-install from the latest available.

Im not sure you can but you might be able to export your VM to an appliance before uninstalling. Not having the driver available because it does not match what you have might prevent this though. Otherwise, Wipe out virtualbox and reload it.
That worked for me! Thanks for the help!
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I'm having the same trouble in my laptop with running Windows 10 December edition, I'll make a new thread.

Return to “Virtual Machines”