[Solved] USBs not seen by guest OS

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pat D

[Solved] USBs not seen by guest OS

Post by Pat D »

Ok, with huge help from Rubber Duck and you folks, I've gotten to the point where everything works in the VB Guest OS (Windows 10) except USB.
I've tried multiple methods as found on the interweb to enable them, but nothing is working, except the mouse and keyboard, which do not show up anywhere in VB this time. It seems to me that on my last box, they did list under USB devices in VB. But not now.
Lots of people say things like "add a 'new filter'...." but this doesn't work since no USBs show up when I try this - and trying to add a filter using info from
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
is not working either.

What info can I post that will help figure this out?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: USBs not seen by guest OS

Post by Cosmo. »

Pat D wrote:mouse and keyboard, which do not show up anywhere in VB this time. It seems to me that on my last box, they did list under USB devices in VB.
You are in error. If this would had been the case, the host would not have a working input device and you could not use the computer at all.

Open a terminal and enter groups. Besides others you should find vboxusers listed. Is this the case for you?

BTW: You do not need usb filters for getting usb devices to work. They are good for making usb usage easier, but they are not essential and they can also easily confuse the user. So forget them at first.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Obvious questions - have you installed guest additions in your guest OS (win10), have you installed the extension pack in mint (from memory think you need this for USB3.0).

Also, I had a problem with USB access in my guest OS (win7) which I only fixed this week, went round in circles before I finally looked in win control panel>system> devices and found that the USB drivers in win7 were broke. Once I fixed that, all was fine. Something worth checking?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I'm not sure how that worked - I went into the Windows Device Manager, which showed all working. Here I applied Windows Rule #1 -
"If you can't get it working, either reinstall or reboot."

So I reinstalled the drivers for the USB stuff, rebooted Windows, and now everything is all tickety-boo.

"Prizes for Everyone !!!"

Return to “Virtual Machines”