[SOLVED] Windows 10 Logo Frozen Upon Starting Up VirtualBox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

[SOLVED] Windows 10 Logo Frozen Upon Starting Up VirtualBox

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to install Windows 10 using the Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager program, but what happens is that the Windows 10 logo ends up being frozen on the screen.

I followed instructions in a YouTube video which shows how to do it. Here is the link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lu7vwglvUA

I was able to follow along with everything in the video up until 6:22. The guy in the video doesn't encounter this problem, but for me the blue Windows 10 logo ends up being frozen in the middle of the VirtualBox screen. I don't know what to do to make it so that the Windows 10 logo doesn't freeze on the screen.

The distro of Linux Mint that I'm using is Linux 18.3 Sylvia and the desktop environment is Cinnamon 3.6.6 if that helps.

How do I resolve this?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Windows 10 Logo Frozen Upon Starting Up VirtualBox

Post by Cosmo. »

Which version of VB?
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Cosmo. wrote:Which version of VB?
It's VirtualBox 5 (VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

That is what I assumed.

Remove this senseless museum piece.

Download from Oracle either the latest release of VB 5.1 (preferred for stability) or VB 5.2. Note that in both the included guest additions have a bug. Oracle has provided for both an updated version of the guest additions, which you find near the top of the download page.

For your system you need to take the version for Ubuntu 16.04. You need also to take the correct version for your architecture (32 - 64 bit).
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Cosmo. wrote:That is what I assumed.

Remove this senseless museum piece.

Download from Oracle either the latest release of VB 5.1 (preferred for stability) or VB 5.2. Note that in both the included guest additions have a bug. Oracle has provided for both an updated version of the guest additions, which you find near the top of the download page.

For your system you need to take the version for Ubuntu 16.04. You need also to take the correct version for your architecture (32 - 64 bit).
Thank you. Your advice worked!
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

If anyone is having this same issue with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, the specific version of VirtualBox that I downloaded (the one that worked for me) is Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial").

To find the download file for this version of VirtualBox, you can go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_1 and then look for "Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial")". I clicked on the"AMD64" version of this file and it immediately started downloading.

Once the file has finished downloading, click on it to begin the installation process. If you have a previous version of VirtualBox installed, this previous version may interfere with this new installation. Here is a thread on this forum which shows how to remove older versions of VirtualBox: viewtopic.php?f=231&t=263386&p=1427198#p1427198

Finally, here is the specific YouTube video that I followed to set up Windows 10 on Linux Mint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lu7vwglvUA
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

One addition: If you update VB to a minor version, where in x.y.z only z is different, you can do this easily on top of the existing version. But in major version changes (x or y) the old VB has to get removed at first. The existing VMs do not get touched by uninstalling VB.

Return to “Virtual Machines”