Virtualbox version 5

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Virtualbox version 5

Post by siawacsh »

Hello, I having a hard time deciding whether to use Virtualbox 5 available on the repositories or the 5.2.6 available on the Oracle website. I am intending to emulate Windows 7 running some specialized diagnostics software.

The one available on the repositories is x86 and my machine is 64. So I prefer to work with an optimized version.

Siawacsh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Virtualbox version 5

Post by MrEen »

I don't use VB but I do read this forum and most VB problems stem from using the version in the repositories. Go with the latest version.
timapple

Post by timapple »

I just installed from the repositories the other day and it was a nogo. Have to use the one from Oracle.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

At least on macOS Sierra the newest version of VirtualBox is running very well. Mint Mate 18.3 is amazingly fast.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Virtualbox Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.1) is running here on KDE 18.3 with kernel 4.13.0-32 without any problems so far.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

siawacsh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm Hello, I having a hard time deciding whether to use Virtualbox 5 available on the repositories or the 5.2.6 available on the Oracle website. I am intending to emulate Windows 7 running some specialized diagnostics software.
Forget the repo version, it's older than me, and I'm oooold. Download 5.2.6 (with the 5.2.7 guest additions) from Oracle.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

siawacsh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm The one available on the repositories is x86 and my machine is 64.
The version in the official repositories gets offered as well as 32 bit and as 64 bit. If you install it from there, the correct architecture gest automatically selected. Actually the wrong architecture would not be able to get installed at all. So I doubt, that you got in a 64 bit Mint a 32 bit VB. What makes you believe so?

The problem with the repository version is another one. It is far outdated (and should not get offered any more at all). It can all kind of problems, inclusive a possible freeze of the host system.

So download the "amd64" version from Oracle.
Note, that you need to remove the already installed older VB version, before you install the new one; do a reboot after removing the old version.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

siawacsh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm..The one available on the repositories is x86 and my machine is 64...
Hi,

For clarification, x86 is mentioned as an indication of supported CPU architecture, the two most common x86 architecture variants being AMD (32-bit and 64-bit) and Intel (32-bit and 64-bit), as opposed to other CPU architectures such as ARM.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you want seamless mode don't go above 5.1.28 (I think), it doesn't work. For more detail search the virtualbox forum. I'm running VB5.0.40 (version in the repos) quite happily with mint 18.3 and the 4.4.0.109 kernel on a thinkpadT430.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rlwa32

Post by rlwa32 »

VirtualBox 5.0.x is no longer supported by Oracle. No updates of any kind for bug fixes or security. I suggest you go with a more recent version. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-5.0
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Thanks for all the replies. Normally the forum emails me of replies. In the absence of notification I was under the impression this question was being ignored.

OK, to all those who say the repos do offer 64 bit. I was under the impression any file with an x86 designation means its for 32 bit hardware. So how do I know which one works with a 64 bit hardware?

According to Oracle Mint 18.2 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 Xential and would need

virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293_Ubuntu_xenial_amd64.deb
But every time I tried to install it using GDebi Package Installer it would stop half way with red tab but without any descriptive error messages. I can upload a screenshot if I had the privileges. I then found this tutorial that seemed to install the above file using repositories.
Along wtih the main package I also installed files called dkms. But when I tried to run windows 7 home premium iso file using the installed Virtualbox I got the following errors.

Code: Select all

Virtual error 
failed to open a session for the virtual machine win7
the virtual machine win7 has terminated unexpectedly during startup  with exit code 1(0x1).
Result code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0 x 80004005)
component MachineWrap
Interface IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Then I would get another error dialog box

Code: Select all

VirtualBox - Error In supR3HardenedMai...
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=1912 (rc=1912)
The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of Virtualbox.
The Installation of VirtualBox was apparantely unsuccessful. Executing 'sbin/vboxconfig' may correct this
Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of virtualBox.
where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what:4
VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH(-1912) - The intalled support driver does not match the version of the user.
So I removed this VirtualBox. But when it came to removing the dkms files my system would not reboot. I would get a mint splash logo followed by a black screen.

I crossed my fingers and installed Mint 18.3. formatting the / partition but keeping my /home. Usually I spend a day or so trying to configure the nvidia drivers. Well done to Mint developers this no longer seems to be a problem. With a sigh of relief I am back up and running with my data intact.

But when I look at aptitude I see still see whole range of Virtualbox x86 versions. None for 64 bit architecture.

So my question to all those who say I should install the latest from Oracle. Before I try to install them again, which one should I install on my new Mint 18.3

Thanks in advance.

Siawacsh
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Jim Hauser wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 am Virtualbox Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.1) is running here on KDE 18.3 with kernel 4.13.0-32 without any problems so far.
This version was found here:

[https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads/u]

For Mint 18.3 you should download the Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial") version. It comes in i386 and AMD64 versions.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

OK, I managed to install Xential version of VB on my new Mint 18.3. That has to mean there was something buggy about my earlier 18.2 that prevented the installation.

So now I need to get my win7.iso to run on VB. I have used this tutorial
It is obvious that tutorial is talking about an earlier version of VB. Under VB settings, storage I see a vdi version of my iso. Another words win7.vdi as opposed to win7.iso. When I start the VM I get
Fatal error! No bootable medium found. System haulted.
Any ideas what could be the problem?

Siawacsh

Return to “Virtual Machines”