How to Make VirtualBox Truly Full Screen?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

How to Make VirtualBox Truly Full Screen?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi.

When using a virtual machine with VirtualBox, is there a way to make it so that it can be truly full screen?

I know how to make it go "full screen" by pressing host (right ctrl, in my case) + c, but even when I do that there's a bar at the top that says the name of the operating system and "Oracle VM VirtualBox". Futhermore, below the virtual operating system that's being displayed is also the Linux Mint taskbar. This is not a true full screen as it stands.

These two bars mentioned above interfere with some applications which require a true full screen to work as intended.

I know Linux Mint is capable of true full screen functionality because I've seen it with programs like the VLC media player which can take up the entire screen.

With that said, it should be possible to do the same thing with VirtualBox, right?

The distro of Linux Mint that I'm using is Linux 18.3 Sylvia and the desktop environment is Cinnamon 3.6.6 and I'm running VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.32 r120294 (Qt5.5.1) by Oracle.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to Make VirtualBox Truly Full Screen?

Post by xenopeek »

host+C is scale mode for me. Full screen mode is host+F. So I think one point is you're not actually going full screen.

By default in (actual) full screen mode it does show the border of the mini toolbar at the edge of the screen. If you move your mouse there the mini toolbar pops up. If you don't want the mini toolbar you can go to Machine > Settings > User interface and disable showing the mini toolbar in full screen mode.
mintyfreshuser

Re: How to Make VirtualBox Truly Full Screen?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:34 pm host+C is scale mode for me. Full screen mode is host+F. So I think one point is you're not actually going full screen.

By default in (actual) full screen mode it does show the border of the mini toolbar at the edge of the screen. If you move your mouse there the mini toolbar pops up. If you don't want the mini toolbar you can go to Machine > Settings > User interface and disable showing the mini toolbar in full screen mode.
Thank you, it worked. You're right that ctrl/host + F is what it takes to make it truly full screen.

It's too bad there (apparently) isn't a way a way to get rid of the top bar and the task bar when running scaled window mode though, as some applications don't want to go full screen even in full screen mode (however they at least will scale to fit the screen in scaled window mode).

Return to “Virtual Machines”