I'm gonna need a little help with Virtualization...

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

I'm gonna need a little help with Virtualization...

Post by viper37 »

Sorry for being so vague in the title.

Ah, basically, I'm a little overwhelmed. I've never really worked with virtual machines before. I've installed one in Windows, couldn't get it working properly, abandonned the project.

So, I've bought a new bidding software for my company. The salesman assured me it would run on standard Windows 10 machines, no problem. I could store my data on my Linux Mint fileserver, no problem.

I asked them a few times to send me to full specs for what I needed for the installation and I finally got them this morning.

Turns out it's a little more complicated then what the salesman told me... :evil:

So the link is in french, but look under "Recommandée" (Recommended) and "Optimale" (Optimal):
https://wiki.eccsolutions.ca/display/HE ... nk-content

Code: Select all

L’instance SQL Constructbuy Estimation peut être virtualisée aux conditions suivantes :

VMWare ESX 6.5 testé et compatible OU Microsoft Hyper-V (aucune garantie pour les autres technologies de virtualisation);

Processeur: 2 coeurs de 3 Ghz dédiés à l’instance SQL ConstructBuy Estimation;

8 Go de mémoire physique 100% dédié à l’instance SQL ConstructBuy Estimation  (Pour une instance SQL Server Express, 4 GB est suffisant);

Système de disque(s) 100% dédié, ou très peu utilisé par d’autres machines virtuelles.

Microsoft Server 2016
SQL Server 2016 Express;
[...]
SQL Constructbuy Estimation can be virtualized under these conditions;
VM Ware Esx 6.5 or Microsoft Hyper-V (no warranty on other virtualization technologies)
2 cores of 3ghz dedicated to SQL Constructbuy
8go of physical memory 100% dedicated to SQL Constructbuy
Raid 10 Disk System (4 disks) 100% dedicated to SQL Constructbuy

So, forget for an instant that my hardware is wholly inadequate for that, I'll buy the missing stuff later. Grrr. At least the software was technically free, I only paid for the installation&integration.

I have one small Linux Mint server that I use to store my company's data and my personal files. One drive for the company, one drive for me, and I have one spare drive I'll install for the SQL Constructbuy software. Damn the RAID 10. BTRFS will suffice. Anyway, can't have Raid bigger than 2go or 4go I think.

4 users on the network, 2 of wich may use Constructbuy at the same time.
Each workstation uses Windows 10.
My network isn't entirely 1GB yet, I'm working on it. Seems I'll have to work a little faster.

Questions:
Can Microsoft Hyper-V be installed on Linux Mint? If so, any guide out there that I can read? I'm not a Linux (any distro) expert, but I can read ;) and understand :)
If not, anything that can come close?
Any guide for how a virtual machine works? Written guides aren't the strongest feature of any Linux thing... Like, once it's there, do I need to install another OS like a paid version of Windows 2016? 'cause if so, I think I'll ditch Mint entirely and only run one OS for everything :(

Can I install Microsoft SQL Server Express on Linux Mint? I see documentation on SQL Standard (paid licenses) but nothing about the Express version for Linux. Do I need SQL Server or is it integrated in Hyper-V?

I believe an application written specifically for MS SQL Server will/may not run on any other SQL platform, am I right? If not, anything easier than MS SQL to use under Linux?

Anything else I need to know before venturing forward in this adventure?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: I'm gonna need a little help with Virtualization...

Post by JerryF »

Lot of questions in one post, so I'm just going to answer this:
Like, once it's there, do I need to install another OS like a paid version of Windows 2016? 'cause if so, I think I'll ditch Mint entirely and only run one OS for everything :(
In order to run the bidding software, you'd need a copy of Microsoft Server 2016 or SQL Server Express to install onto the virtual machine.

Think of a virtual machine as a computer within a physical computer. Any virtual machine would need some kind of operating system.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

viper37 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 pm Can Microsoft Hyper-V be installed on Linux Mint?
No. It's Windwoes only.
If not, anything that can come close?
I'll answer that last.
Any guide for how a virtual machine works?
For "how a virtual machine works" Google suggests this.
Can I install Microsoft SQL Server Express on Linux Mint?
No. It's Windwoes only.
I see documentation on SQL Standard (paid licenses) but nothing about the Express version for Linux. Do I need SQL Server or is it integrated in Hyper-V?
The express edition is part of Visual Studio, hence it should be part of the application you install. In any case, Express is free.
I believe an application written specifically for MS SQL Server will/may not run on any other SQL platform, am I right? If not, anything easier than MS SQL to use under Linux?
It isn't a matter of easier to use. You can't use a different database if the software is designed to run on a specific database.
Anything else I need to know before venturing forward in this adventure?
It's possible that the system will run in any virtual machine, including VirtualBox, but the real problem is this:

Code: Select all

8go of physical memory 100% dedicated to SQL Constructbuy
Raid 10 Disk System (4 disks) 100% dedicated to SQL Constructbuy
That's heavy duty. You can try it on a virtual machine but the cost will be time. Based on your questions I think you're asking in the wrong place. You don't need linux mint forum users' opinions, you need a consultant.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

"That's heavy duty. You can try it on a virtual machine but the cost will be time. Based on your questions I think you're asking in the wrong place. You don't need linux mint forum users' opinions, you need a consultant."

I was afraid of that :(
That software seems a little too big for my needs. Should have known...

Well, thanks :)
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM

Return to “Virtual Machines”