VMware workstation Player

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redhendar1

VMware workstation Player

Post by redhendar1 »

I'm new to linux and after trying several distributions, I could only get VMware Player to work on Mint 17v2. The VM's run fine, except:
(1) Player always displays the screen wanting my email address or license code
(2) It complains it can't find preferences (or make a directory) in ./VMware, I click continue and it does
(3) I have the VM's in Documents/Virtual Machines where they are located in Windows and under macOS as well
(4)Windows 7 and macOS High Sierra run very well, Windows 10.1709 runs a little slow, but not bad
(5)Has trouble sometimes connecting to iPhone 5c hotspot, which I use on occasion -- the added files I install from synaptics seem to worsen
the iPhone USB connection
I tried Mint 18 XFCE (which I Prefer) but wouldn't install Player which when I attempted to run wanted to compile some other files which it
could never do....Player 14 (newest) was a waste to try to run, giving needed to compile other stuff, couldn't stop services (or restart) etc.
Tried a different distribution "RoboLinux Mate" and "Solydx" with same problems. No success until Mint 17v2. It wants to update, but after selecting some iPhone files, which slowed the HOTSPOT down, won't do any others.
I work on a Dell T-3500 worstation with Xeon processors and am surprised by these Linux problems! I've used Windows and macOS for years relativel smoothly, but what's with Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: VMware workstation Player

Post by deepakdeshp »

It might be a good idea to post this here.

https://communities.vmware.com/welcome
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: VMware workstation Player

Post by AndyMH »

Have you tried VirtualBox instead of VMware?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Virtual Machines”