How I had to solve software rendering error in mint 18.2 and 18.3 with last 3 versions of virtualbox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmacleo

How I had to solve software rendering error in mint 18.2 and 18.3 with last 3 versions of virtualbox

Post by dmacleo »

first, not sure if this is right forum but it is somewhat driver related.
so I've had (even with 3d checked) the whole software rendering mode on mint cinnamon 18.2 and 18.3 over last 2-3 updates to virtualbox. 17.x series has had no issues.
tried everything suggested before, remove guest additions/reinstall them, etc. no help.
so last night I got to wondering about display manager stuff so ran

Code: Select all

sudo apt-install gdm
then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
and chose gdm as display manager.
I then rebooted and during login just chose cinammon. it all worked.
so I then ran

sudo dpkg-reconfigure ldm
and bingo, everything worked as should.
so to test I built up 2 vm's, one 18.2 and one 18.3 left both stock (no updates) and got the software rendering mode.
did this procedure on both, both worked fine afterwards.
not sure why this happens, know virtualbox has some gnome dependencies, possibly one wasn't met during guest addition install the the install gdm fixed.
anyways, thought maybe this would help someone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dmacleo

Re: How I had to solve software rendering error in mint 18.2 and 18.3 with last 3 versions of virtualbox

Post by dmacleo »

I didn't notice this subforum
viewforum.php?f=231
can a mod move this post there please?

Moderator: Done.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How I had to solve software rendering error in mint 18.2 and 18.3 with last 3 versions of virtualbox

Post by pbear »

Which version of VBox are you using? If not sure, open and click Help: About VirtualBox.

FWIW, there's been a recurring problem recently with guest additions not properly supporting 3D acceleration. I use the 5.1 series, as I prefer stability and don't see any features in 5.2 I care about. This was a problem in 5.1.32 (and, reportedly, 5.2.6), but seems to have been cleaned up in 5.1.34 (latest update).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This was not a security problem, but a bug regarding Linux guests.

What we also need is the version of the installed guest additions. Press in the running guest host-n to find that out.

I also wonder, what "last 3 versions" exactly means.
dmacleo

Post by dmacleo »

its been happening on 5.2.x series, last 3 or 4 updates. I never had chance to nail it down until yesterday.
presently Version 5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.6.2)
guest additions updated with each version too,
presently ls /opt shows VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.8
I do not seem to recall any issues on 5.1.x series but could not see foolproof manner to revert back after updating to 5.2.x
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

dmacleo wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:25 am presently ls /opt shows VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.8
This is not what I asked.
dmacleo

Post by dmacleo »

misunderstood host-n needs
Guest Additions
5.2.8 r121009

Guest OS Type
Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (64-bit)

Video Memory
3D Acceleration
Enabled
win10 host virtualbox 5.2.8 multiple mint virtual machines
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Looks good so far.

Please create another brand new VM and install Mint 18.3 Cinnamon inside. Do no changes for the VM except enabling 3D acceleration after installing the guest additions (with reboot of the VM). Do not install anything inside of the VM (except the guest additions). What does it give?
dmacleo

Post by dmacleo »

did a new 18.3 cinnamon yesterday no updates and guest additions added. same issue and same procedure fixed.
planned on doing 18.1 as well as a 17.x based one today when I get time.
want to try to see if its mint issue (dependencies?) or pure virtualbox issue or combo of both.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Up until 18.2 Mint comes with pre-installed guest additions, which do out of very obvious reasons never match with the used VB version and have to get removed in the guest at first. Out of this reason I advice indeed to use 18.3 (where this nonsense has finally ended).
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

dmacleo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am did a new 18.3 cinnamon yesterday no updates and guest additions added. same issue and same procedure fixed.
Out of curiosity, last night I upgraded one of my test boxes (Mate 18.3 host) from VB 5.1.32 to 5.2.8. Cinn 18.3 already installed, which I had left at GA 5.1.30 because of the 3D acceleration problem. After the upgrade, which required uninstall and reinstall of VB, upgraded GA to 5.2.8. Runs fine (no software rendering mode). So, I wonder whether you have some other problem. Mind, I haven't replicated your situation precisely, but should be close enough. Also, there isn't yet a notice on Oracle's Downloads page, which is what I've seen in the past when there were problems with a particular update's guest additions.

By the way, as regards reverting a Windows installation of VB to version 5.1, that would be easy enough to do. (I have one of those also.) Simply uninstall in Control Panel then reinstall from Oracle. What would be a problem is there seems to be no way to specify that updates stay in the 5.1 branch. Also, my recollection is that, at least the last few times, the guest additions problem affected both branches or neither, so probably not worth reverting anyway.

Return to “Virtual Machines”