Upgrade Vitualbox Failure.

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Upgrade Vitualbox Failure.

Post by andrewgouw »

The latest version installed on my Linux Mint 18 was virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~trusty_amd64.deb. When I got a notice to upgrade to virtualbox-5.2_5.2.8-121009~Ubuntu~trusty_amd64.deb I upgraded it as usual.
However the outcome was not as usual. The upgrade was successful with no warnings or error messages. The oracle Virtualbox Manager started up fine, but when I started the virtual windows 7 machine I got a error messages as attached.
Can anybody help me with what I might have done wrong. Thanks.

note: I have UN-installed virtualbox and re-installed the latest version and it gave me the exact same error, and the sam is when I reinstalled the old version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Upgrade Vitualbox Failure.

Post by kyphi »

You need the version based on xenial:

virtualbox-5.2_5.2.8-121009~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

kyphi wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 am You need the version based on xenial:

virtualbox-5.2_5.2.8-121009~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb
Surely not. Obviously the OP uses Mint 17.x, otherwise the named version of VB would not had been able t get installed. So the xenial version will not even install.

To the OP:
Do you have the extension pack updated after updating VB itself?
Is the VM mentioned in the VB Manager as being switched off?
Can you create (for testing) a fresh new VM? It is not necessary to install a system inside, just booting the new machine (via DVD / ISO image) is enough.

To clear it finally up: What is your version of Mint? Which kernel do you use?
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

Now that you mentioned it, this time it did not prompt me to download and install the extension pack. Attached is my system info.
I tried to install a new virtual machine and it came with the same error message when I try to run it. As far as the kernel I am not sure because I'm not that far yet, still a newbie.
Anything else I can try?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Independently from your original problem: Your kernel is far outdated and by this the system very vulnerable. Update it. Possibly it helps for your VB problem.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

Please tell me how I go about doing that. Help.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Update Manager (the shield icon in your Panel) > View > Linux Kernels > Select the latest from the 4.4 series, se;ect Install this Kernel & enter yourt password.

Reboot.

Run sudo /sbin/vboxconfig in Terminal & it should now start up properly.

BTW I also think you need the Xenial version. Seems you may have added the wrong PPA from the Oracle site.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open update manager -> preferences -> options and ensure, that showing kernel updates get displayed. You will surely get an update in the update manager.

Besides that: There is something wrong in our starting post. You wrote, that you installed the trusty version of VB (in my upper posts I relied on that information), but the last screenshot says clearly, that you have Mint 18, in this case the xenial version is right and the trusty version would not got installed.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

Thanks guys, I did upgraded the kernel to 4.4.0-98. Result is still same error message.
Here is what I did:
1. updated the kernel to 4.4.0-98 no warnings or error messages
2. Reboot the computer
3. ran "sudo /sbin/vboxconfig" no warnings or error messages
4. started virtualbox manager no warnings or error messages
5. start the win7 virtual machine - same error messages.
Do I have to remove virtualbox and reinstall it?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Read my previous post. Something is wrong. If you are on Mint 18 (the screenshot makes it near to sure now), than you can impossibly have installed the trusty versions of VB, which you named in the starting post. So what do you really have?

Besides that: Why kernel 4.4.0-98, which is already far outdated?
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

FAO Cosmos
I mentioned that my system is Linux Mint 18 and the trusty versions were initialy installed and updated before .
I download the update from the prompted site when one becomes available. To be honest it is the first time that I heard about the xenial version. Please excuse my ignorance.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

Well I was following suggestion from BG405 mentioning the latest 4.4 series. I am very weary about kernels because I am still a novice so that is why I follow what is suggested.
I will update the kernel to the latest that is available if that is what you are suggesting and try everything again.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

The point is you didn't, as suggested, select the latest kernel available in the 4.4 series. FYI, that's 4.4.0-116.

As regards your problem, it probably would help if you run apt list --installed virtualbox* in Terminal, then copy-and-paste the output here. While you're in Terminal, also run inxi -Sr, then copy-and-paste that output here also.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

here are the results attached
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Upgrade Vitualbox Failure. - Solved

Post by andrewgouw »

The problem is solved but not solved. I removed the installed VB 5.2 and installed the one in the Software Manager which turned out to be an old version VB 5.0
It worked and I have a running Windows machine again. Therefore my problem of not having a running Windows virtual machine is solved but the original problem is not.
I do thank everyone for the time and effort of helping me, although I am still interested in finding out what has happened.
Attached is the screenshot of the running VM.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The problem was likely this:
virtualbox-5.2/now 5.2.6-120293-Ubuntu-trusty amd64 [installed,local]

You need the version for Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit) which can be found here on the Oracle website. Uninstall the old version first, then repeat the vboxconfig command I posted earlier.

I also see that you appear to be running a 4.8-series kernel; this series is no longer supported AFAIK. The 4.4 series (latest) is currently being patched for Spectre & Meltdown. If you do change to 4.4 latest, you'll need to press left SHIFT (or ESC on some machines) during initial boot to get to the GRUB menu, then select the 4.4 kernel before you can remove the 4.8 kernel. The machine will, by default, boot to the highest numbered kernel which has been installed. This behaviour can be changed if you want help with that.

Note that the vboxconfig command normally needs to be run again whenever you change the kernel!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

Thank you for your explanation. Yes I do like to know how to update or remove the kernel so I can use the right one. It was my ignorance that I updated to the 4.4 series but didn't notice that it is already up to 119.
If you can give instructions, how to do that, I will appreciate that very much. I am still a novice and have no experience with kernels other than not to update unless it is the last resort. I also have a Linux Mint 17.3 that runs fine and the kernel is still the original from the time it was installed, version 3.13.0-37. I am so afraid if I update something might no longer work, worst scenario it won't boot, then I am really lost. So that is my Linux expertise.

Return to “Virtual Machines”