[Solved] mintupdate update wants to uninstall all virtualbox-guest packages

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] mintupdate update wants to uninstall all virtualbox-guest packages

Post by Rehdon »

Hi all,
as per package this latest version of mintupdate apparently wants to get rid of my virtualbox-guest-* packages, currently at version 5.0.40-dfsg. Can I go ahead and those will be update as well, or is this going to break my virtualbox software?

Thank you,

R
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mintupdate update wants to uninstall all virtualbox-guest packages

Post by jimallyn »

Unless you are running Mint in VirtualBox, let it uninstall them. There was a problem with the guest packages that made a lot of computers refuse to boot. Those guest packages have been included by default for a long time, and I suspect they no longer will be.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mintupdate update wants to uninstall all virtualbox-guest packages

Post by Rehdon »

It turns out that uninstalling those packages was just preliminary to an update of the whole Virtualbox package, so going to do that and check that everything is working.

Thank you,

R
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [Solved] mintupdate update wants to uninstall all virtualbox-guest packages

Post by Cosmo. »

You don't need the guest packages in the host for being able to run VirtualBox and should not install them in the host.
Kudalufi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kudalufi »

I went ahead and updated mintupdate, which removed all my VirtualBox guest packages, and now I can't re-add those packages without uninstalling mintupdate. This is rather frustrating - who was it that decided mintupdate and VirtualBox guest were incompatible? I can no longer run my Mint guest in seamless mode.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Kudalufi wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 pm I went ahead and updated mintupdate, which removed all my VirtualBox guest packages, and now I can't re-add those packages without uninstalling mintupdate. This is rather frustrating - who was it that decided mintupdate and VirtualBox guest were incompatible? I can no longer run my Mint guest in seamless mode.
Unfortunately the updated packages from the Ubuntu repos are not compatible with Mint at all - they cause quite serious problems - hence mintupdate being set to block them. You can reinstall working guest additions in a Mint guest from virtualbox itself using the virtualbox devices menu.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Kudalufi wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 pm now I can't re-add those packages without uninstalling mintupdate.
This doesn't make sense to me. How do you try this? What exactly happens? Which version of VB do you use, taken from which source? What OS has the host?

BTW: Posting in a thread, which is already marked as solved, brings the risk, that your question might get overlooked. it is better to create your own thread - and give the above mentioned information.

Return to “Virtual Machines”