Migrate existing Win 10 to Virtualbox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Migrate existing Win 10 to Virtualbox

Post by coffee412 »

Has anyone been able to import a live windows 10 with EFI into a Virtualbox VM? I understand the licensing issue but only need to get into it once and grab some files. I cannot mount the user partition because of bitlocker. A client dropped this off to me.

I did install dislocker and prepared to use that as an alternative to booting up win10 but just want to see if its possible.

Of course if my client cannot find his password or keys then I guess he is all done.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Migrate existing Win 10 to Virtualbox

Post by AZgl1800 »

You are asking about taking a native Windows10 PC and trying to "move it to Virtualbox" under a different OS?

I just don't see how that would be possible, none of the underlying requirements will exist for Windows to run inside a VM as the existing install is based on what the installer sees in the mobo hardware.

none of that stuff is "real' in a VM.

Will you need to provide a license for the VM Win10 install, probably, but I have never been asked to provide a license in any VM Windows install. I have XP and 7 installed on my 18.3 Mint Cinnamon under VB.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I just thought I would ask as I am trying to do some recovery and thought it might be an option.

I appreciate the feedback on this. :) Thanks!

coffee
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

When I installed Mint on a computer for my brother, I found a program, from Microsoft I believe, to back up the Win7 install, and I was able to run that in VirtualBox. It's barely usable, but it constantly complains about drivers. Don't know if it works with Win10 or not. I understand VMWare has programs to facilitate what you want to do, but don't know a thing about them. Might be worth doing a little research.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:39 pm When I installed Mint on a computer for my brother, I found a program, from Microsoft I believe, to back up the Win7 install, and I was able to run that in VirtualBox. It's barely usable, but it constantly complains about drivers. Don't know if it works with Win10 or not. I understand VMWare has programs to facilitate what you want to do, but don't know a thing about them. Might be worth doing a little research.
Thank you.

The situation is pretty grim really. Client uses laptop for their business. Not a server or anything - Just this laptop. Evidently from what I can get from this person is that they got the laptop used from a friend. Its a Surface pro4. The thing died and does not power up. Whats even worse is that evidently by default windows 10 runs bitlocker on the user partition by default. I dont know if it does it in the situation where you upgrade from 7 or 8 but I have read that on new laptops it does.

So, I decided to have a go at it. After all I need to brush up on my skills for removing the evil glued on screens. I did pretty good and took me about a half hour. I pulled the M.2 and inserted it into my linux box - sure enough - Bitlocked!

So, I made an iso of the drive and played with dislocker but it appears the customer may not have a M$ account (that they remember). So, Im thinking all hope may be lost unless the customer contacts the previous owner.

Well, Thats the story.

Personally, I would never own a apple or surface because of the difficulty in getting inside. Not to mention the bitlocker deal. The only M$ I run is a windows 7 VM for some accounting software. Im in the middle of replacing that with GNUcash though.

As much as I caution people to backup it seems they never do. I just dont get it.

Ok, End of the story here :) Hope I didnt bore you!

coffee
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just spent about 15 hours on a brand new Surface Pro,

and getting that thing to do what I ( the client ) wanted is a super PITA.

I would not have one of those things if you gave it to me.

I still yet, have to make a clone image of it, as this is his 3rd Surface Pro.... the previous two locked up tight and Geek Squad could not make it work again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I don't care to have a Surface or anything else from Microsoft. I honestly do not know why anybody would use any of their junk if there's any way to avoid it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Disk2VHD is what you need. I've used it with XP and Win 7... I've no access to Win 10. There's plenty of info online about using it... Here's one that's Win 10 specific, though I've only used the .vhds on Virtualbox.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 pm I don't care to have a Surface or anything else from Microsoft. I honestly do not know why anybody would use any of their junk if there's any way to avoid it.
Amen.

It amazes me too. Sometimes I think this world is getting dumber as we get older. ;)

Thanks for the replies.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

chrisuk wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:47 am Disk2VHD is what you need. I've used it with XP and Win 7... I've no access to Win 10. There's plenty of info online about using it... Here's one that's Win 10 specific, though I've only used the .vhds on Virtualbox.
Hi Chris,

I have seen references to that. I will have to look into it. I appreciate the reply. I have to look into accessing an unmounted drive in virtualbox I guess. Then see about getting the client to work on getting the reg. key. Even though I think this is a lost cause it will atleast add to my knowledge base. I might be able to keep the parts in lieu of payment.

Thanks,

Return to “Virtual Machines”