VM crashes host - need help diagnosing

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otlichnik73
Level 3
Level 3

VM crashes host - need help diagnosing

Post by otlichnik73 »

Hi there everyone! I question from an absolute newbie...
Can someone give me a starting point diagnosing this issue:
Host machine crashes (actually physically reboots) while running VM in Virtual Box.
Host OS is Linux Mint 18.3; 8GB RAM
VM is Windows 10, assigned 2000MB ram
The PC itself used to run Windows, then I installed Mint. Had no problems with Windows (except for the intrinsic Windows rubbish).
VM loads but runs very slow (not sure if that's what to expect). I only ran it twice, both times it crashed the host (the PC actually turns off and restarts): once while opening Photoshop; the other time when opening Illustrator file.
I noticed the crash reports in /var/crash but I don't know how to decipher them...
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: VM crashes host - need help diagnosing

Post by jimallyn »

A couple of things: if you are using VirtualBox from the Mint repositories, try downloading and installing the latest version from the VB website. Also, it might help to give the VM another gig or two of RAM if you've got it. (I have been told Win10 is a memory hog, but don't use it myself, so can't say for sure.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Another gig or 2. Win10 is hungry. Photoshop also takes a lot.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I agree with the above - Windows 10 will not work with 2 Gig RAM, especially if you try to run Photoshop or Illustrator. You should give it 4 Gig RAM, at the least.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/

Return to “Virtual Machines”