is a more recent virt-viewer possible in mint?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m.ardito
Level 1
Level 1

is a more recent virt-viewer possible in mint?

Post by m.ardito »

Hi,
my mint 18.3 has virt-viewer 1.0-1 (Ubuntu origin), but it's quite old, and could be missing some features, I think, like: folder sharing with windows hosts.

see: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 37244.html

The newest virt-viewer version is 6 ! (https://virt-manager.org/download/) but there's only a source release for linux.

Newest ubuntu and debian have version 6
- http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bio ... wer.1.html
- https://packages.debian.org/it/sid/virt-viewer

Is there any way to get that new version on mint?
Is it possible to compile the 6 source on mint 18.3 without breaking everything?
Any flatpaks or similar alternatives?

THanks Marco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: is a more recent virt-viewer possible in mint?

Post by catweazel »

m.ardito wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:49 am my mint 18.3 has virt-viewer 1.0-1 (Ubuntu origin), but it's quite old, and could be missing some features, I think, like: folder sharing with windows hosts.
All the PPAs I could find for xenial only had v1.0.1, so basically you have two choices. Wait for Mint 19.1 to get v6.0-2 or wait for Mint 19.1 to get v6.0-2.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
m.ardito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m.ardito »

catweazel wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:48 am All the PPAs I could find for xenial only had v1.0.1, so basically you have two choices. Wait for Mint 19.1 to get v6.0-2 or wait for Mint 19.1 to get v6.0-2.
Hi, thanks for checking and feedback.
I mean, sharing folders with windows guests has alternatives (samba) but it's about all the new features/fixes a new version could bring in...

I also tried virtualbox, first, and while I'm not sure it can do something like that (without samba, it has also binary copy/paste that is really impressive.
But my win10 vm runs much, much better under kvm... I would not go back.

Would it be possible to get this kind of updates with "containerized" applications like flatpaks or others similar/alternative ones?
PPAs are a fantastic workaround for backported versions, imho, but that means a lot of (not always possible) rework of the code.
As I understood those "containerized" systems, this could be a well suited example: is there any place to suggest a "flatpak" (or else) port of programs?

Because, as I read, mint 19 should be near (June?) but 19.1 should come maybe around end of the year...
m.ardito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m.ardito »

m.ardito wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:21 am
Would it be possible to get this kind of updates with "containerized" applications like flatpaks or others similar/alternative ones?
I answer myself: I fear that no, it is not possible, at least with flatpak:

"With Flatpak, each application is built and run in an isolated environment, which is called the ‘sandbox’. Each sandbox contains an application and its runtime. By default, the application can only access the contents of its sandbox. Access to user files, network, graphics sockets, subsystems on the bus and devices have to be explicitly granted. Access to other things, such as other processes, is deliberately not possible."

Let's wait then... :(

Return to “Virtual Machines”