How to fix VMware 14 player/workstation startup / memory issue

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Altersoundwork

How to fix VMware 14 player/workstation startup / memory issue

Post by Altersoundwork »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a fix with those of you who use VMWare Workstation or Player (version 14.x)

After installation (this happens to me on both mint 18.3 and 19) and running it for the first time, you'll get the following message:

"Before you can run VMware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel."

After you click ok, "Virtual machine monitor" will faill followed by an "Unable to start services" warning and the whole process essentially in a loop.

If you don't get this message you may also have an issue when running a VM for the first time (be it new or loaded) with the message:

"The virtual machine is unable to reserve memory"

Either or both error can be fixed with the following commands:
cd /tmp
git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git
cd vmware-host-modules
git checkout workstation-14.0.0
tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
sudo cp vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
The issue is due to VMWare 14 not having been patched yet for the most recent kernels so credit goes to "Michal Kubeček" for creating said patches and "scrapebyitguy" where I found these commands.

Hope this helps anyone searching for these 2 issues :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to fix VMware 14 player/workstation startup / memory issue

Post by deepakdeshp »

In my case VMware gave the same error and indicated gcc-7 to be installed. I installed gcc-7 with a lot of effort and the problem was solved.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Virtual Machines”