VirtualBox on iMac, unable to see "Shared folder". Linux Mint 18 and 19, both.

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tilt

VirtualBox on iMac, unable to see "Shared folder". Linux Mint 18 and 19, both.

Post by tilt »

I use VirtualBox on an iMac and run both Mint 18.3 and 19 in separate VMs.

When I created the VMs for both, I enabled sharing my iMac's home folder with both VMs and asked for both to be auto-mounted and permanent.

However, when I run the VMs I cannot see the shared folder at all, I cannot see any "networked" drives at all.

When I click on "Network" in the file manager, I see "Windows Network" and upon clicking it says Unable to mount.

Is there something I have configured incorrectly?

If it helps, earlier versions of Mint and VirtualBox had no problems in mounting the shared folder; but I have also faced this issue when trying out other distress; so the issue is not related merely to Mint. I am guessing I have to ask this question ion a VirtualBox forum and not in a Mint forum.

Thank you and cheers

Sorry, forgot to include version details:

Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.5 running on a 2013 iMac 27"

VirtualBox Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3)

Mint 18.3 Sylvia as one VM
Mint 19 Tara as the other VM.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: VirtualBox on iMac, unable to see "Shared folder". Linux Mint 18 and 19, both.

Post by catweazel »

tilt wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 am However, when I run the VMs I cannot see the shared folder at all, I cannot see any "networked" drives at all.
This may be a bug in VBox. Take a look in /media for a directory named sf_ followed by the name of the share in Windwoes.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tilt

Re: VirtualBox on iMac, unable to see "Shared folder". Linux Mint 18 and 19, both.

Post by tilt »

Thank you for the prompt response, cat weasel.

Mint 19 - the /media directory is empty, nothing in it.

Mint 18.3 - does have an sf_ entry with the name of the shared folder, but there's nothing inside that folder.

BTW, I do not have any Windows anywhere; I am on a Mac. It is merely that in Mint, the only entry under "Networks" is Windows, I have no idea why.

Cheers
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Mint 19 - the /media directory is empty, nothing in it.
Sounds like you didn't add the VBox Guest Additions: Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Image

And remember: You need to add yourself to the vboxsf group:

Code: Select all

sudo gpasswd -a tilt vboxsf
Then logoff ( the guest ) and log back in again.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tilt

Re: VirtualBox on iMac, unable to see "Shared folder". Linux Mint 18 and 19, both. - SOLVED

Post by tilt »

Thank you, altair.

I downloaded the guest additions iso, but when I try to click on Devices|Insert Guest Aditions Image, I get an error window saying Unable to insert virtual optical disc ?Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.zio into the machine Linux Mint 19 Tara.

Cheers

=EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, altair, your suggestion worked. Problem solved.

I got the error message mentioned above, but then also noticed after I posted here that the disk image was mounted inside the VM. So, I ran the outrun in that disk image and it installed the guest additions, and then I added myself to the group like you said, and it is all well now. Everything works.

Thank you.

Return to “Virtual Machines”